List of Free Online Algebra Courses and Lessons
See our list of the top free online algebra courses and lessons. Learn about what courses are available, what topics they cover and whether you can use them to get college credit.
Online Algebra Courses for Credit
A number of free algebra courses are available online. Students won't need to register or pay tuition for these courses, but they also might not be able to earn college credit. Students who want to find courses that can lead to credit can find programs that charge a fee to access online lessons. These fee-based courses prepare students to earn alternative forms of credit.
Study.com has this type of distance learning available with its quick and engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes, which are available to registered members. There are also free transcripts available for Study.com's video lessons. Both the transcripts and the video lessons can lead to real college credit. Students interested in honing their algebra skills can check out the Math 101: College Algebra course. Lessons in this course include:
- Foundations and Linear Equations - Learn about the different types of numbers and various parts of a graph, how to graph a linear equation and how to use a system of equations.
- Inequalities - Topics included in this chapter cover graphing of 1- and 2-variable inequalities, solving absolute value inequalities and system inequalities.
- Rational Expressions - Learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide rational expressions with video lessons and practice problems.
- Probability Mechanics - Examine factorials and the binomial theorem and learn about Pascal's triangle.
- Sequences and Series - Get info on how to classify and calculate arithmetic and geometric sequences.
In addition to College Algebra, Study.com offers several additional courses that cover algebra topics:
Free Online Non-Credited Algebra Courses
Abstract Algebra at Harvard University Extension School
This is an entire OCW course, complete with 38 video lectures (50 minutes each) and 36 sets of notes and algebraic problem sets. An introductory algebra course is a prerequisite for this class. The homework assignments refer to a text, as outlined in the syllabus, but the lectures and notes are sufficient to teach the concepts of abstract algebra.
Algebra I at MIT
This beginner's class does not require a prerequisite. Students are provided with lecture notes, homework assignments and practice quizzes. This course covers everything from the matrix exponential to rotations and isometries. The assignments and quizzes do not come with solutions.
Algebra II at MIT
Algebra I is a prerequisite for this course. Students will further apply the algebraic theories they learned in the previous class, while studying new concepts like permutations and function fields. Selected lecture notes are provided, as well as assignments and exams without answers.
Algebraic Geometry at MIT
This OCW course teaches students how to apply abstract algebra to the concepts of geometry. Through 39 sets of comprehensive lecture notes, students will learn how to geometrically analyze solutions to algebraic equations.
Algebra Review in Ten Lessons at University of Akron
This site offers ten PDF documents covering most of the major concepts in algebra, from radicals and exponents to functions and curves. The lessons include quiz questions that are answered and explained at the end. These documents, downloadable as PDF files, are a review of high school algebra.
Beginning Algebra at West Texas A&M University
This online training program is a preparatory course of study for individuals interested in learning algebra or those who have had trouble with algebra in the past. It consists of 36 tutorials divided into five sections. Each section has a practice test at the end, complete with answers. This free work-at-your-own pace program begins with a segment offering tips on how to be successful at algebra and follows with actual assignments and problems.
Linear Algebra at MIT
This introductory course to linear algebra focuses on linear spaces and the functions that produce them. In addition to 34 video lectures given by MIT Professor Gilbert Strang, there are problem and quiz sets with solutions, demonstration videos and additional online study material.
Linear Algebra at Saint Michael's College
Linear Algebra is a textbook published by St. Michael's College Professor Jim Hefferon. Both the book and answers to the problems are available for free download. At least one semester of calculus is recommended as a prerequisite for linear algebra.
Paul's Online Math Notes at Lamar University
This site offers a thorough collection of algebra class notes and tutorials compiled by Paul Dawkins from the years he taught algebra at Lamar University. Along with an e-book of the text, Dr. Dawkins provides 'cheat sheets' with commonly used equations and an extensive amount of example problems. No prior knowledge of algebra is necessary.
Related to List of Free Online Algebra Courses and Lessons
- Recently Updated
Algebra 1 coursework is considered a core math requirement for both college entry and college-level degree programs. It is...
Algebra, the method of performing mathematical computation using variables, is a part of the general educational development...
Get detailed information on where you can find Algebra 2 classes. There's also information on how this class can be helpful in...
Trigonometry can be found in numerous education programs, either for independent study or a degree program. Learn more about...
- Online Courses: Bring the Classroom Home!
- Online Courses for Becoming an Announcer
- Online Heavy Construction Courses and Training Programs
- Career Information for a Degree in Aromatherapy
- Arts and Communications Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Juvenile Detention Counselor: Career Information and Requirements
- Summary of Oklahoma Colleges, Universities, & Career Schools
- Online Courses for Professional Caregivers of Infants & Toddlers
- Online TESL Courses and Continuing Education Programs
- Adoption Caseworker: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Hotel Front Desk Supervisor: Job Description, Requirements & Career Info
- Careers in Immigration Services: Education Requirements and Job Options