List of Free Online Arabic Courses and Classes
Learn Arabic with these free online courses. This article allows you to look over the full list of free Arabic courses and find the course that's right for you.
Info on Free Online Courses in Arabic
Arabic courses generally cover learning Arabic (vocabulary and pronunciation) and writing Arabic script. The Web has many training materials of this nature. This article will highlight only a selection of them. None of the resources included in the article result in the viewer earning a credit.
San Diego University
- Arabic Activities are in Arabic, so prior knowledge of Arabic would be helpful. Lessons range from a unit for elementary students who are learning Arabic to intermediate and advanced reading activities. Some lessons include clips from YouTube.
- Arabic Alphabet starts with a chart of various Arabic letters. Students can click on each letter to see how it is written, and there are images of letters written in different positions, based on the surrounding context of written information. Also available are audio and video clips for letters that are written similarly, letters that are pronounced similarly and vowels.
- Arabic for Beginners is composed of 15 video lectures. Students learn to pronounce, write and recognize the Arabic alphabet. They will learn basic vocabulary words and grammatical constructions, and they will be able to converse about familiar subjects, greet others and read and write simple texts after completing the program.
- Arabic in Jordan includes a series of audio files and a lesson transcript that can help users learn Arabic as it's spoken in the country of Jordan. Topics covered include greetings, physical states, useful expressions, foods, directions and question words.
University of Washington
- Arabic Poetry allows students to listen to a selection of poems in Arabic. Topics of poems include mother, to my girl and peace.
- Vocabulary Flashcards that cover fundamental aspects of Arabic are also available. Students can use these cards to learn how to navigate basic Arabic greetings, numbers, and other useful vocabulary.
University of Texas at Austin
- Arabic Voices is designed to help students with their listening comprehension. The materials available on the site range from beginning to advanced levels. Each listening segment is one to ten minutes in length and has accompanying activities and questions.
University of Victoria
- Introduction to Written Arabic covers Arabic consonants and vowels, along with exercises in reading, listening and dictation. Users learn through flashcards, matching and typing exercises. Answers are checked, and the right answers provided if needed.
- Step-by-Step Lessons in Arabic cover the Arabic alphabet, adjectives, nouns, plural forms, gender, numbers, phrases, grammar, vocabulary and verbs. The lessons include mp3 audio files so the user can learn the correct pronunciation. The site contains an Arabic keyboard for practice.
- Arabic Games can help users learn basic Arabic words by playing games. Games cover topics that include colors, the alphabet, numbers, kitchen vocabulary and Arabic verbs. Anyone using this site should know basic Arabic to play the games, though the correct answers are provided so that one can learn from his or her mistakes.