Free Online Non-Credited Bookkeeping Courses
Arizona State University
Arizona State University offers a variety of course materials that students can access online. Some online course materials are only available for Arizona State University students.
- Accounting Tutorials contains exercises or exams for students to practice their accounting and progress.
- Accounting Definitions and Background Information provides students with background information on accounting, business, taxation and commerce terms. Students can also find definitions for common accounting acronyms and links to various tax, accounting and finance websites.
- Taxation presents resources for state income tax, excise tax, sales tax rates and state tax policies. Students can also find statistical Internal Revenue Service data.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology provides a variety of bookkeeping and accounting courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. While course materials can vary, some free online courses include materials such as exams, readings lists, PDF lecture notes and assignments.
- Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting is an undergraduate-level course designed to provide students with a fundamental understanding of how to read managerial and financial reports, rather than preparing them. Students are provided with course assignments, exams and lecture notes.
- Financial Accounting teaches a basic understanding of managerial, financial or tax reports and ways the reports impact bookkeeping. Some lecture topics include accrual accounting, accounts receivable, revenue recognition, inventory, taxes and acquisitions.
- Financial and Managerial Accounting includes lecture notes, a quiz and an exam. Topics of study in this course include revenue recognition, inventory, cost of goods sold, accounting for taxes and accrual accounting.
- Management Accounting and Control is a graduate course for students who want to learn about topics such as managerial decision-making, business planning, monitoring and financing. Lectures notes include subjects such as costs, cost allocation, budgets and budgeting and performance measurement.
MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) provides bookkeeping course materials that are accessible online.
- Basic Accounting and Bookkeeping Instruction provides lessons in topics such as closing books, depreciation, transaction analysis and ratio analysis. The course also has links to additional bookkeeping and accounting resources for further instruction.
- Drills for Accounting Basics includes free interactive quizzes covering topics like chart of accounts, cost of goods, bookkeeping, debits and credits, accounting principles and bank reconciliation.
- Principles of Accounting Online Textbook consists of 24 chapters on various accounting and bookkeeping lessons. Downloadable accounting exercises are available in PDF or Microsoft Excel format. The course provides a keyword glossary, text and illustrations of materials, quizzes and video lectures.
- So, You Want to Learn Bookkeeping goes over topics such as general ledgers and journals, debits and credits and bookkeeping terminology. The course material is taught in 7 lessons.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Management Accounting shows students how to plan and control a business by utilizing and understanding accounting data. Students can watch lessons in basic accounting concepts, the double-entry concept, cash flows and financial statements. Some course materials listed on the syllabus, such as the quizzes, lecture notes and assignments, aren't available for free online. Students can access the welcome letter in Word format and the course syllabus in Excel format.
The Open University
- Introduction to the Context of Accounting focuses on a broad understanding of accounting and the ways accountants can help a business' profits. The text-based lesson also includes examples and activities.
U.S. Small Business Administration
- Introduction to Accounting explains the fundamentals of accounting for business owners. Some topics include cash flow statement, net profit, income and balance sheets. Upon completion, students can print a certificate of completion.