List of Free Online Business Writing Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online business writing courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Business Writing Classes for Academic Credit
Students who want to study business writing online may want the option to earn academic credit. Study.com's online video courses help students prepare for credit-by-exam tests. These fun courses are available for a reasonable membership fee.
- Workplace Communications with Computers provides communication strategies and tips for resumes and cover letters.
- The Technical Writing course takes students from prewriting to editing and beyond.
- Try College Composition for a refresher on the basics of grammar and citing your sources, plus much more.
Non-Credit Business Writing Courses Online
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Management Communication for Undergraduates
- Argumentation and Communication
- Communication for Managers
The online materials for these MIT courses include the same lecture notes, homework and exams offered in on-campus degree programs; however, none of the free online courses are graded or have college credit value. Online students can download PDF files of lecture notes, assignments and reading materials.
The Management Communication for Undergraduates course is designed to improve a student's ability to write business memos and letters. The course's lecture notes discuss standard business-style writing and offer writing tips like emphasizing actions in sentences and choosing concrete words.
There are also graduate level courses that cover business writing. The course in Argumentation and Communication focuses on analytical and persuasive writing styles frequently used in business settings. In this course, students learn how to think critically and present a point-of-view through business memos, essays and briefs. Communication for Managers is a graduate-level course designed for students interested in improving their business leadership skills through persuasive writing and presentations. Not all of the lecture notes are included with this course, but students may find homework and readings on intercultural business communication and resumes helpful.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
The courses at NJIT consist of video lecture series that students can use to boost self-study. No credits or grades are given for these free online courses. Users must have a media player on their computers to view the videos.
The undergraduate Technical Writing course addresses advanced communication issues and responses by tackling ethical and gender topics, audience perspectives and problem-solving. Specific business writing skills covered in the course include memos and e-mails, resumes, proposals and presentations. Proposal Writing is a graduate-level course that uncovers the persuasive writing style used by many organizations seeking to gain funding or sales. This course includes a syllabus with additional assignments and readings.
This video from Northwestern University, Effective Business Writing, was originally presented to doctoral students at the university's McCormick School of Engineering. The lecture covers how to write the forms of business correspondence usually needed to get or leave a job, including cover letters, e-mails, letters of acceptance and resignation letters.
University of Southern California
The non-credit Executive Communication and Business Writing webinar from the Marshall School of Business at USC uncovers current forms of written communication used in most organizations. The lecturer discusses e-mail, blog, video and social networking communications as well as the issues inherent to these forms of business communication.
U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides the document How to Write a Business Plan to help entrepreneurs learn the steps to writing an effective business plan. Being able to organize and describe business models, marketing plans and financial requirements are important to earning the financial support generally needed to start a new business. The non-credit document can also be downloaded in PDF format.
Related to List of Free Online Business Writing Courses and Classes
- Recently Updated
Find out about degree and training programs in business writing. Read about available degrees, potential coursework and...
Technical and business writing careers can be pursued by students who major in fields such as journalism, communications and...
Find out where you can earn a degree in technical and business writing. Read about the programs offered by three leading...
A degree in general technical and business writing provides a foundation for careers that utilize communication, research and...
- Business Essentials II Certificate: Program Overview
- Career Information for a Degree in Business and Commerce
- Career Information for a Degree in Business
- Idaho (ID): University and College System
- Top School for Becoming a Graphic Designer - Orlando, FL
- Canine Massage Therapy Training Program and Career Information
- Study.com 2010 Scholarship Winners: Graduate-Level Distance Learning
- Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Great Reading Response Paper
- Associate of Arts (AA): Business Degree Overview
- Accounting Executive: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Architecture Professions: Overview of the Architecture Related Careers
- Commercial Litigation Associate: Career Information and Requirements