Free Online Non-Credited CAD Courses
The following online resources offer free courses in CAD. These tutorials can help interested students learn without bothering with registration or tuition, though they do not provide any academic credit.
Autodesk is the maker of AutoCAD, one of the most common brands of computer-aided design (CAD) software. While tutorials for the 2012 to 2016 versions of AutoCAD are accessible as downloadable .pdf files and videos on the Autodesk site, training for the 2016 and 2017 versions of AutoCAD are featured most prominently.
- Getting Started Video Tutorials include instructional video segments on basic topics such as constraint workflow, model documentation, and parametrics, as well as how to install AutoCAD software.
- Building 3D Models Video Tutorials explain how to convert 2D design patterns to 3D form and offer a number of videos about associative arrays. Path arrays, polar arrays, and editing source objects are among the subjects covered.
Some of the tutorials at CADTutor are offered in video form, while others are text pages with diagrams and descriptions; both types of materials are viewable online but not available for download. The site offers numerous resources for introductory CAD training, as well as more specific learning materials related to things like modeling, techniques, and working with objects.
- Learning Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 is an 18-video tutorial that teaches basic navigation of this version of CAD software. The videos cover areas such as Autodesk Cloud, object selection, and scaling objects, in addition to dimension operations and block insertion. The final two videos in the series guide students through the creation of a final project using Autodesk AutoCAD 2013.
- Learning AutoCAD 2014 is an introductory tutorial that includes 15 training videos addressing topics from 3D editing to the osnap function. As in the previous course, the final video provides an opportunity to follow along in developing a project cumulatively based upon all the prior tutorials.
Carnegie Mellon University
These resources from Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) require Flash and are designed for use in the latest version of Internet Explorer. In these tutorials (which do not offer the opportunity to earn actual college credit), numerous sections from within a list of chapters are offered in instructional video format, while an introduction and overview of each chapter is available for download in .pdf form.
- AutoCAD 2D Tutorials contain 40 chapters on subjects like display commands, plotting, crosshatching, external references, and data management.
- AutoCAD 3D Tutorials cover Z coordinates, complex surfaces, and dynamic perspectives and views. The final chapter offers an overview of miscellaneous commands.
- 3D Studio MAX Videos provide demonstrations on subjects such as modifying objects, animations, and terrain creation, as well as camera matching and particle systems.
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
These two courses offered by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras instruct in utilizing CAD software for very large-scale integration, or VLSI. Rather than tutorials about the general use of CAD software, these are college classes (though students will not receive any college credit upon their completion) that address CAD tools in this particular context.
- CAD for VLSI Design I looks at subjects such as CAD tools, synthesis, and delay modeling are available in PowerPoint presentation format. Lab exercises (without solutions) are also provided, as well as examples and explanations of laboratory projects.
- CAD for VLSI Design II also comprises downloadable .pdf files of 20 lessons addressing topics including complimentary metal oxide silicon (CMOS) transistor theory and delay elements, logic networks, and logical effort. This course additionally offers tutorials on three stages of MAGMA application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) design flow.
MyCADsite.com provides written tutorials that correspond with AutoCAD 2016.
- 55 AutoCAD Tutorials - A Complete Course is divided into four sections that range from introductory to advanced. Each section contains about 10-20 lessons and assignments detailing instruction in accurate input, orthographic projection, polylines, line thickness, and grip editing, to name a few subjects. Each of the four levels also contains a quiz at the end; learners may click a link to check their answers and receive the correct responses to any questions they answered incorrectly.
North Carolina State University
These free tutorials comprise written instructional materials that are viewable online.
- AutoCAD Tutorials cover topics like 2D drawing, the user coordinate system, and solid modeling provide instruction related to Release 14 of AutoCAD software. Within each tutorial, a list of AutoCAD commands is visible in a separate left sidebar; students may click on a command and see an explanation of it without leaving the main instructional page.
- Pro/Engineer Tutorials are listed in cumulative order and cover areas like feature operations, sheet metal, and simple assembly. Since this material is only accessible online and not available for download, the contents may undergo updates or changes.