Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Baking and Pastry Arts
- Catering and Restaurant Management
- Chef Training
- Food Preparation
- Food Server and Dining Room Mgmt
- Institutional Food Worker
- Meat Cutting
Free Online Course Info
Regardless of the class, course or learning material, students interested in online learning on how to decorate cakes won't be able to earn college credit upon completion. Training must be completed on the students' own time. Free online training materials are rarely found through public or private not-for-profit schools; most materials can be found through organizations related to baking or cooking.
- Cake Decorating Techniques: Split, Fill and Crumb Coat a Cake offers online training through a video guide and reading materials. This lesson shows students how prevent crumbs from getting in the icing when icing a cake. In addition to the training video, this website also provides students with red velvet cake and cream cheese filling recipes.
Culinary Institute of America (CIA)
- On Location with Duff Goldman '98 is a 20-minute podcast covering topics relating to creativity, objectivity and the art of cake decorating.
King Arthur Flour: Basic Cake Decorating
Each chapter of this how-to guide consists of step-by-step instructions and pictures. Students will also find a list of tools that are needed to complete each tutorial.
- Chapter 1: Making Buttercream Frosting looks at how to make Italian buttercream frosting. A frosting recipe, appropriate for a variety of cake decorating projects, is provided.
- Chapter 2: Assembling the Cake focuses on cake preparation prior to decoration. Through this 4-page illustrated tutorial, students can learn how to ensure level cake layers and make a crumb coat.
- Chapter 3: Decorating the Cake provides 7 pages of instructions that cover several decorating styles, such as pinstripe, rosette, piping, dotted, ribbed and basket-weave patterns. Students can also learn a decorating use for chocolate ganache.
Make Fabulous Cakes
Make Fabulous Cakes offers students training through step-by-step instructions with corresponding visual aids.
- How to Make Tiered Cakes shows students how to stack and provide support for each layer.
- Icing a Cake Smoothly goes over how to use a rotating tray while torting and icing a round cake, also aiming to train students how to ice a cake without having crumbs mix in the icing.
Pennsylvania State University
These free online tutorials offer training through reading materials and pictures. Some instructions may offer extra tips to further help the learning process.
- Cake Decorating 1 provides students with a required supply list and an icing recipe so that they can learn how to crumb, seal and ice a cake. Additional topics include how to fill a decorating bag, use star and writing tips, make rosette patterns, transfer pictures to cakes and make star patterns.
- Cake Decorating 2 shows students how to apply granny's quilt and roses supreme decorating patterns.
Wilton Industries offers free training through step-by-step picture and text tutorials.
- Covering Round Cakes with Rolled Fondant details processes for fondant trimming, air bubble removal and fondant rolling for large cakes.
- Covering Shaped Cakes with Buttercream offers recommendations for cake decorating designs, including borders, flowers, messages and numbers.
- How to Choose and Use Decorating Bags shows students the technical aspects of different decorating bags. Students can also find instructions that show how to prepare, fill and hold decorating bags. These instructions are accompanied by a tutorial video.
- Icing Cakes Using a Spatula uses text and video to demonstrate proper techniques for creating a crumb coat and applying the final amount of icing.