Online Christian Counseling Courses for Credit
There are many schools across the country that offer free online classes for students who want to learn more about Christian counseling; however, they do not typically award any type of credit. Students who are seeking online classes that offer credit can consider the options on Study.com. This website offers an affordable option to students and uses resources such as lesson videos and chapter tests.
The Counseling 101: Fundamentals of Counseling course does not have any chapters specific to Christian counseling but it does allows students to study basic counseling topics. Chapters in this course include:
- The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy - Identify the early years of counseling and where counseling is going in the future.
- The Professional Counselor - Learn about where counselors work, the specialties available for counselors and the personal qualities of great counselors.
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling - Study information about the licensing requirements for counselors and the ethical and legal obligations for this profession.
Info on Free Online Christian Counseling Courses
These online courses related to Christian counseling are offered for no credit, and course materials can be accessed at any time. No grades are involved, and the courses are self-directed. In addition to counseling, these courses cover biblical and other religious topics.
Biola University is a Christian institution that offers free, online video courses on its Open Biola website.
- Ethics at the Edge of Life prepares students to counsel others dealing with important bioethical issues, such as abortion and suicide. Topics are covered from a biblical perspective.
- Suffering allows learners to develop an understanding of the reasons for and purpose of suffering, which can be helpful for Christian counselors. The course covers such topics as death and dying, the suffering of Jesus Christ and Christian martyrs in history.
Covenant Theological Seminary
Covenant Theological Seminary (CTS) offers 8 courses in Christian counseling. The courses are in audio format, and students can listen to the first 2 lessons for most of the courses. In order to access these courses, students must sign in and register. Many of the courses were originally addressed to graduate students in the seminary, but don't include lecture notes or exams.
- Intro to Counseling consists of 20 lessons covering a variety of issues such as depression, suicide, sexual abuse and addictions, as well as psychological models used in Christian counseling.
- Marriage and Family Counseling addresses Christian counseling models and concerns that often arise in pastoral or ministry counseling situations.
- The Quest for Identity discusses what the Bible says about the question, 'Who Am I?'.
- Restoring a Glorious Ruin speaks to depression.
- Sense and Sexuality shares what the Bible says about different forms of sexuality.
- Sexual Addiction and Pornography is a 5-part lecture series designed for those planning a career in Christian counseling.
- Sex on the Brain is a lecture by Dr. Richard Winter and further discusses sexuality topics.
- Uncovering Our Anger is taught by Ed Killeen and discusses how anger affects people.
Desiring God Ministries
Desiring God Ministries provides a variety of audio and video resources, most of them involving Dr. John Piper, about topics related to Christian life and ministry.
- Beholding Glory and Becoming Whole: Seeing and Savoring God as the Heart of Mental Health was originally given by Dr. Piper to the American Association of Christian Counselors. In the address, he discusses Ephesians 1 as a basis for pursuing mental health, among other Bible references. The lecture can be read as a manuscript, watched in video form or listened to as an audio recording.
- God, Psychology, and Christian Care of the Soul is a set of audio lectures given at a conference for pastors who often perform Christian counseling.
- Toward a Definition of the Essence of Biblical Counseling assesses what the Bible says about Christian counseling. The article was originally written as a paper to define Christian counseling for his church's pastoral ministry.
Master's International School of Divinity
Master's International School of Divinity offers free online courses for those who want to learn how the Bible impacts various areas of life.
- Biblical Foundation for Mental Health features 5 lessons with questions at the end of each. The course can help the Christian counselor understand what the Bible says about mental health and how people can experience change.
- The Biblical Model for Marriage and Family is where students can explore what the Bible says about marriage and family. This class can inform the Christian counselor about what is and isn't acceptable in marriage and family life, according to the Bible. Instructions and course materials are provided, but students need a copy of the Bible to review suggested readings.