Free Online Civil Engineering Course Information
Whether you are new to civil engineering or are ready to advance your engineering skills, the courses below are designed to teach students about the role of civil engineering in modern society and the principles and laws that contribute to the field. The majority of courses offer lecture notes that can be downloaded and many classes include assignments, lectures and projects that help students better understand the material. These courses are not offered for college credit. Rather, they let students work independently.
Delft University of Technology
- Civil Engineering in Developing Countries teaches students about the connection between civil engineering and sociocultural issues in developing countries. There are 13 lectures available that cover drinking water, shelter and roads. Students will learn about case studies like Kitui, Kenya.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Introduction to Civil Engineering Design is meant for students who are new to civil engineering and want to learn theory, civil engineering case studies and techniques. Students will access a reading list that includes information about major civil engineering projects. There is also a list of projects that students can download to better understand civil engineering through hands-on projects.
- Introduction to Civil and Environmental Engineering Design I is another undergraduate class that teaches students the principles of civil engineering. Through this online course, students learn about the significance of water, structure and thermal design as it relates to civil engineering. There are also projects that students can download to understand civil engineering techniques.
- Civil Engineering Materials Laboratory connects students to the measurements and techniques used in civil engineering. This online course includes video demonstrations that cover data acquisitions and instruments. There are 10 labs that cover concepts like soil classification and tension.
- Uncertainty in Engineering focuses on probability and statistics in connection to engineering. Students can access nine lecture notes and 19 application examples that teach students about distribution mixtures and variables. Students can also access exams to test their knowledge of course materials.
- Project Evaluation teaches students the methods for evaluating civil engineering projects of all sizes. Online lectures and projects cover uncertainty, financing, revenues and project costs. There are exam questions that are also posted online as part of the class.
- Project Management shows students how to implement real-life civil engineering projects. Students will learn about civil engineering projects like the Manhattan Project and the Central Artery Project. There are assignments that include case studies, cost analysis and risk.
- Frameworks and Models in Engineering Systems/Engineering Systems Design is an undergraduate class that teaches students about the quantitative and qualitative methods of civil engineering. The lecture notes can be downloaded and cover topics like risk management, complexity and scenario planning. There are assignments and projects that provide case studies for students.
- Engineering Mechanics I gives an overview of materials and structures in engineering. Students can learn about the principles and laws of engineering through lectures that include beam elasticity, the stress method and the continuum model.
- Masters of Engineering Concepts of Engineering Practice is a graduate-level class that covers the role of engineering in modern society. Lecture notes cover ethics, construction and project management. Students can download case studies and learn about the project evaluation process.
The Open University
- Systems Engineering: Challenging Complexity is a graduate-level course that covers the importance of this field, the processes within it and modern engineering. This online class is broken into six units that include online lectures and texts.