List of Free Online Computer Engineering Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online computer engineering courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Online Computer Engineering Courses for Credit
Free courses involving computer engineering can be accessed online for those seeking to avoid registration and tuition, though these courses cannot provide credit. For an engaging learning experience offering academic credit, you might consider the relatively inexpensive content within Study.com. The courses found here include video lessons matched with corresponding lesson transcripts and practice quizzes you can use to measure your comprehension subject-by-subject.
Students interested in computer engineering might look into Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications. Some of the chapters in this course are:
- Hardware and Systems Technology - Topics covered include computer system components, computer input devices, and random access memory (RAM).
- Systems Development - Get an overview of systems development life cycles, the application development process, and developing a graphical user interface.
- Introduction to Programming - Learn about validation tools, the basic elements of programming, programming logic and syntax, and related concepts.
Free Online Computer Engineering Course Information
Students can find a number of computer engineering courses designed for advanced or beginning students. Nearly all of the courses allow students to download lectures, and some of the classes provide videos for students who want step-by-step instruction on computer engineering. These courses are not offered for credit and are meant to give students the opportunity to work at their own pace.
African Virtual University
- Electronics is meant to provide students an understanding of the electronics theories and techniques as they relate to electronic engineering and software engineering. Students can download video lectures that explore concepts like digital circuits and microcomputers.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Introduction to Computers and Engineering Problem Solving is an undergraduate class that focuses on computer programming principles like data structures, numerical methods and computer graphics. There are 37 lectures that can be downloaded online, as well as 10 problem sets that can help students understand the course materials. In addition, students can download 11 recitations that offer tutorials on computer programming methods.
- Computer Algorithms in Systems Engineering demonstrates to students how computation is used to study engineering systems. The 24 lecture notes are broken into various topics, such as dynamic programming, branch-and-bound and databases. There are also 3 quizzes available online and each of the quizzes comes with solutions.
- Computation Structures is an introductory course that examines concepts in logic gates, finite-state machines and circuits. There are 25 lectures available online, as well as 5 quizzes with solutions and study materials that supplement the course lessons. Students can build their knowledge by accessing tutorial problems and solutions that include information about sequential logic, caches and pipelining.
- Introduction to Computer Science and Programming is an undergraduate course that trains beginning programmers to create small programs using Python programming language. Along with assignments and exams, there are 24 video lectures that show students about basic computer programming methods, such as test, debugging and dynamic programming.
- Computer System Engineering focuses on computer hardware and software by teaching students about privacy, encryption, virtual memory and client-server design. Students will also be able to learn about the role of computer systems on society through video lectures and slides. The class also offers exams, but they do not include solutions.
- Computer Language Engineering is designed for students who want to understand high-level programming languages. Students can download video lectures that cover concepts like register allocation, instruction scheduling and unoptimized code generation. The course also allows students to download 3 quizzes that reinforce the concepts studied in the class.
- Laboratory in Software Engineering is a hands-on undergraduate course that shows students how to use programming methods to create large software systems. Students can download lectures that cover topics like equality, exceptions, usability and design patterns. There are 6 recitations available online, as well as problem sets that include directions and tutorials.
- Network and Computer Security is meant for students who have programming experience and would like to learn techniques that build computer security and safety. Through assignments, exams and projects, students will learn about firewalls, intrusion detection and risk assessment.
- Foundations of Software Engineering looks at network methods, e-business applications and image processing. The online lectures include lessons about Java programming and other common computer software programs. There are 3 quizzes available online and students can download the solutions to help with their studies.
- Distributed Computer Systems Engineering is another graduate-level course that focuses on the techniques, issues and strategies for distributed systems including topics in security, naming and network programming. Students can also download lecture notes, labs and exams that reinforce the concepts taught within the online course.
University of California, Berkeley
- Software Engineering is a one-hour lecture about the fundamentals of software engineering. Students will examine fundamental programming techniques, as well as how to improve and maintain software programs.
- Data Structures delves into topics like storage management, arrays, strings, linear lists and queues as well as Java programming.
Utah State University
- Signals and Systems is an advanced course that teaches students about systems realizations. There are 10 lectures online that cover topics like sampling, Fourier Series and Z Transformers. Students can also download 12 homework assignments and 3 labs.
- Information Theory explores concepts involving the transmission and representation of information, such as signal processing and pattern recognition. There are 14 lectures online, as well as homework assignments.