Online Computer Repair Courses and Required Information
A limited number of free computer repair courses and tutorials is available through different schools and institutions. The classes below are typically not offered for university credit. All courses can be taken by students at their own pace. Some knowledge of basic programming, mathematics and computer systems may be necessary in order to fully benefit from the free online resources below.
Free Online Computer Repair Course List
- Karbosguide can benefit individuals interested in learning about computer hardware/software, computer maintenance or just computers in general. The Karbosguide offers lectures on Windows, motherboards, PC architecture, chipsets and CPUs (central processing units). Many of the lectures come with illustrations and graphs.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Circuits and Electronics looks at the basic functioning of circuits and possible applications for analog, digital and audio devices. Course topics include resistive elements, networks, independent and dependent sources, energy storage and applications. Students have access to a variety of learning tools, including videos, lecture notes, labs, quizzes and homework sets. Not all the readings are available online, and students may need to purchase a textbook.
- Introduction to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science looks at the design basics of modularity and abstraction within different electrical engineering and computer science contexts. The course also integrates mathematical models of systems as well as topics such as modern software engineering, linear systems analysis, electronic circuits, and decision-making.
- Create a System Repair Disc consists of a video presentation on how to create a system repair disc to resolve or fix problems in the Windows operating system. Microsoft also provides written instructions to accompany the video.
- Overview of Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset provides step-by-step instructions on performing various diagnostic and troubleshooting techniques on a computer or laptop. The Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) includes instruction on many of the tools needed to repair and maintain a computer such as Crash Analyzer, Disk Commander, Computer Management and Locksmith Wizard, among others.