Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting with Computers, General
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial Accounting
- Taxation, General
Free Online Computerized Courses and Training Programs
Computerized bookkeeping involves a combination of accounting, mathematics and office practices. Free online courses in computerized bookkeeping are offered by some schools, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Brigham Young University - Hawaii. Software companies, such as Intuit and Microsoft, also offer free online training that provides learners with bookkeeping and accounting knowledge and skills. Online videos may also prove helpful to individuals interested in becoming proficient in bookkeeping.
Brigham Young University - Hawaii
- Simple Excel Bookkeeping, Accounting Debits and Credits offers information on working with Excel. Students learn bookkeeping and accounting practices, such as entering and editing credits and debits. The effect that debits and credits make on a financial statement is also a topic in this course.
- Payroll for Today's Accountant: Intuit's Payroll Service Lineup 2011 can be useful for business owners who use Quickbooks to perform their own bookkeeping and payroll and want to know how to better utilize Intuit's payroll services with the software. It explains the benefits of using Intuit's payroll options and the ways the payroll features interact with QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks at Year-End 2012 is designed for business owners or bookkeepers using QuickBooks Accountant 2012. Students learn the best methods of compiling clients' files and generating the correct year-end results. Some topics covered in this training include setting client preferences, backing up data, importing data files and using QuickBooks File Manager. This training offers one CPE (continuing professional education) credit.
- Quickbooks for Mac: Overview for Accounting Professionals is aimed at individuals who use Mac computers and plan to use QuickBooks software for their accounting or bookkeeping needs. In addition to learning the different features of QuickBooks for Mac, students also learn when to recommend QuickBooks for Mac. Topics of study include setting up company files, bank accounts, payrolls and specific preferences.
- QuickBooks Premier Accountant 2010: New Features and Functionality teaches students about new features in QuickBooks Premier Accountant 2010. Students learn to customize the reporting function of QuickBooks to meet their customers' needs. Besides going over new features, each section will go into detail of how to use features that are changed or improved.
- Get to Know Excel 2010: Create Your First Spreadsheet consists of one self-paced lesson. Learners get hands-on training in creating a spreadsheet complete with columns, rows and math formulas. A test is also available at the end of the course that, while it is not scored, demonstrates to students what they've learned. Microsoft also offers a course for students who are using earlier versions of Microsoft Excel, such as Excel 2007.
- Charts I: How to Create a Chart in Excel 2007 contains two practice and self-paced sessions on creating charts. This class requires that users have Microsoft Excel 2007. In addition to learning to create a chart, students learn to edit data within the chart and become familiar with chart terminology.
- Make the Switch to Excel 2010 is aimed at individuals who are familiar with Microsoft Excel. The course teaches users how to work with files, format documents, create charts and use the buttons and commands. Students learn how to work between Excel 2010 and earlier versions and learn about the various changes to the program.
- The IF Function: What It Is and How to Use It requires Microsoft Excel 2010, although a different course is available for users of version 2007. Students learn how to use the IF function, including multiple IF functions within a formula. The course also offers a test so students can see if they have mastered the training, as well as a printable quick reference card for future use.
- Financial Accounting offers topics in bookkeeping and helps students understand financial and accounting principles. The curriculum includes lecture notes students can download and study. This course is part of the Open CourseWare (OCW) consortium.