Info on Free Online Construction Learning Materials and Courses
Free online courses dealing with construction are primarily available through universities' OpenCourseWare (OCW) programs; they usually can't be taken for credit. Additionally, all course materials may not be available, such as certain tests and reference materials. Other resources for free online courses and materials include the U.S. Department of Labor and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Free Online Construction Courses List
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Project Management covers the calculable tools, methods and theories used in construction project management. Additional topics include risk management, scheduling and project estimations. A suggested reading list is available, and students can download lectures and term project guidelines as PDF files.
- Building Technology I: Materials and Construction explores the construction, theory and history of structural systems; it also looks at buildings and energy issues. An interactive learning tool is provided that can help students understand structural forces, although a Java plug-in is required. Additional materials include lecture notes, an assignment, a quiz with solutions and study material, all available as PDF files.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Construction Equipment Visibility looks at the blind areas of various construction vehicles, including backhoe loaders, dozers and graders. This information may help prevent accidents on a construction site.
University of Cape Town
- Construction Technology I: Part A and B is written according to South African standards and regulations for the construction industry, it still may be of value to readers seeking information on construction techniques. Students are introduced to building sections, including ramps, walls, stairs, foundations, roofs, walls and floors.
- Introduction to Project Planning looks at the role of planning in project management. A planning techniques manual and a critical path presentation are available as PDF files.
U.S. Department of Labor
- OSHA Construction eTool is a tutorial on controlling and identifying construction hazards that can lead to serious injury. The tutorial looks at electrical, struck-by and trenching hazards, as well as falls. It's presented in text format with illustrations and many addition resource links.
- Prevention Videos: Construction Hazards shows how construction workers can avoid injury on the job. Topics covered include construction falls, strains and sprains, struck-by accidents, carbon monoxide poisoning and excavation accidents.
Delft University of Technology
- Use of Underground Space is a podcast covering topics such as subsoil basics, risk and safety management, tunnels, basements, special constructions, subsurface planning, legal aspects and land uses. Free materials include eleven video lectures with PDF slideshow files, readings, guidelines for an optional final paper and sample completed papers.