List of Free Online Economics Degrees and Courses
See our list of the top free online economics courses. Learn about what courses are available, what topics they cover and whether you can use them to get college credit.
Online Economics Courses for Credit
Students can find a number of free economics courses available online. While these courses don't require students to register or pay tuition, they also don't lead to college credit. Students who want to earn alternative forms of credit might look into courses that charge a small fee in exchange for access to online resources.
Study.com has this type of distance learning through its short and engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes. Free transcripts are also available for the videos. Both the videos and the transcripts can prepare students to earn real college credit. Students interested in economics can explore the Economics 102: Macroeconomics course, which includes lessons on these topics and more:
- Scarcity, Choice, and the Production Possibilities Curve - Topics include opportunity cost, production possibilities model and the function of choice.
- Measuring the Economy - Examine the circular flow of economic activity, gross domestic product and investments.
- Aggregate Demand and Supply - This chapter covers the Keynesian Model, the classical model, marginal propensity to consume, sticky wages and favorable supply shocks.
- Economic Growth and Productivity - Subjects covered include potential output of a nation, real GDP per capita, physical capital and growth policy.
- Fiscal and Monetary Policies - Find out about fiscal policy tools, expansionary fiscal policy, progressive tax code, supply side economics and more.
Free Online Non-Credited Economics Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Behavioral Economics and Finance
- Economics and Psychology
- Introduction to Statistical Methods in Economics
Behavioral Economics and Finance looks at the psychology behind economics, including the impact of self-control and thinking processes. Students can download lecture notes and handouts in PDF form. Three problem sets with no solutions are included for practice in this graduate-level course.
Students in the undergraduate course, Economics and Psychology, will learn how psychological tests have been used to learn about economic thinking and behavior. Lecture notes for most lessons are available for downloading, and students can access problem sets, but not the solutions. Two textbooks are required, and links to some supplemental readings are provided.
Introduction to Statistical Methods in Economics offers basic information on statistics and probability geared towards undergraduate economics and social science students. Users can download a complete set of lecture notes, as well as assignments and solutions. Exam questions are posted online.
The Open University
Economics Explains Discrimination in the Labour Market views workplace discrimination from an economist's perspective. Students can download lectures with illustrations and graphics. Learning activities are included with some lessons.
Utah State University
Students who complete International Economics can gain knowledge in international finance and trade from a business standpoint. Users can download MP3 audio lectures and complete assignments that consist of multiple choice questions. A textbook and accompanying study guide are required, as well as access to a supplemental website.
Introduction to Economics helps students understand economic institutions, particularly those related to the U.S. economy. Students can download MP3 audio lectures, essay questions and multiple choice quizzes. One textbook is required.
Students in Managerial Economics learn how management decisions are influenced by the application of microeconomics. The goal of this course is to develop stronger business leaders working in the non-profit and government sectors. One textbook is required, and students should have some prior knowledge of microeconomics, basic statistics and business calculus. MP3 audio lectures, multiple choice quizzes and exam questions are available for this course, but no solutions are provided.
Financial Markets takes a look at the institutions in our society that help manage risk while encouraging business. Students have access to 23 video lectures, some with quizzes. The lessons include links to reading assignments that can be found for free online. Practice and real exams, along with solutions, are available. Two textbooks are required, and there is a lengthy list of recommended readings.
In Financial Theory, students can learn how the U.S. financial system fits into the global economy through 26 video lectures. Students should be proficient in arithmetic and elementary mathematics before starting the course.
Related to List of Free Online Economics Degrees and Courses
- Recently Updated
Explore the curriculum and requirements of an economics associate's degree program. Learn about the continuing education...
Degrees in economics typically cover industrial labor, microeconomics and macroeconomics topics. Find out about about the...
Prospective doctoral candidates in economics might consider their own academic accomplishments when choosing which Ph.D....
Economics majors learn how to compare politically affiliated tax plans, study economic systems and analyze how the world...
- Jobs for Graduates with a Bachelors Degree in Economics
- Salary of an Economics Major: How Much Do Graduates Earn?
- 10 Great Study Abroad Locations for Economics and Business Students
- Furniture Designer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Study.com 2010 Scholarship Winners: Business Administration
- Information Technology Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Small School, Big Value: Study.com Speaks With a Student at SUNY Geneseo
- Bachelor of Science (BS): Economics Degree Overview
- Dan Ariely on Behavioral Economics and Avoiding Krispy Kreme
- Study.com's Insider Tips for Teachers
- Medical & Health Information Technology Certification Information
- Loving Books and Staying Young: Study.com Speaks With Award-Winning Author Brian Katcher