Free Online Fashion Design Course Info
Several online fashion design courses and tutorials are offered through OpenCourseWare (OCW) websites. OCW classes often share lessons and learning materials that were previously used in traditional, in-person college classes. Students who use the free resources below don't earn college credits, but they can have access to learning and training materials that are often available through regular college classes.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Beginning Costume Design and Construction is a downloadable course that includes basic instruction on clothing construction, such as draping and drafting. Learners can study the psychology of clothing and practice rendering skills through lectures, readings and projects. Students will need a sketching pad and some fashion materials to complete all assignments.
- The Craft of Costume Design allows students to download the materials for this 25-session course. Instruction will be given on how to create costumes without sewing through the use of various materials. Photo images of completed student work are available for viewing online.
Utah Education Network
- Designer Sewing / Fashion Design is a resource that provides lessons and assignments on fashion design, sewing, tailoring and fashion sales. Core standards are presented, along with media links and additional lesson plans. Topics include pattern design, principles of clothing construction and custom sewing techniques.
- Fashion Drawing Tutorials are lessons that include text and drawing templates that may be downloaded and saved or printed. Also available are silhouette drawings of models wearing fashions from prior decades. Learners can study the basics of fashion sketching, including posture/poses and possible drawing materials.
- Sewing Essentials Online Video Course provides free sample video lessons on many topics, such as pattern-making, garment sewing and alterations. Each lesson contains a variety of different chapters, many of which are provided free of charge. Videos may also be viewed in full-screen mode.