List of Free Online Game Programming and Development Courses
Learn game programming and development with these free online courses. See the full list of free game programming and development courses and find the course that's right for you.
Online Game Programming and Development Courses for Credit
The theoretical and practical aspects of video game creation can be learned via free Internet-based courses and lectures offered through a school's OpenCourseWare (OCW) system, though these materials do not usually lead to college credit. There are some online credited options available at a significantly lower cost than the price of traditional enrollment.
Students interested in this affordable form of college credit can consider Study.com's online classes. Instruction in game programming and development is available through the Business 109: Intro to Computing course. Available materials include short, engaging video lessons and self-assessment quizzes, both of which can be accessed by registered members. There are also corresponding lesson transcripts available to everyone at no cost. Chapters in this course include:
- Programming Methodology - Lessons cover topics ranging from the five basic elements of programming and the uses of Boolean logic to the steps involved in testing code.
- Software Development - Instructors discuss the processes, methods and tools used in software and application development along with the aspects of graphical user interface (GUI) design.
Free Online Non-Credited Game Programming and Development Courses
Blender 3D Design at Tufts University
This course deals with the Blender software that is used in modeling, animation and 3D rendering. Flash video tutorials can be downloaded from the website. Blender is open source and, therefore, can be downloaded free. The course is split into learning units for beginners followed by intermediate-level units. Students, however, can explore any of the units they wish, in any order and at their own pace. This OCW course doesn't include all the content that was in the original course taught at the university.
Instructional Games at Utah State University
The course includes a list of readings, some of which can be downloaded for free. Students learn how to design instructional games of their own, and all of the materials needed to complete the optional final game project can be downloaded from the course website.
Introduction to Computer Science and Programming at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
This course is designed for the novice. Students need to install the free Python software in order to run the .py files found on the website. Video lectures are available, and the course also includes assignments and exams with solutions. Much of the reading for the course is available online; however, several textbooks on Python are suggested or referenced during the lectures.
Lessons Learned: Game Development at Stanford University
This video lecture is the ninth in a series of 23 lectures that explore the gaming industry from an entrepreneur's perspective. This particular lecture looks at the game after it has been developed and encourages the game developer to evaluate it as a customer. The lecturers discuss how often a game should be played and when to release it to the public. Other topics covered by the series include product development, entrepreneurship, organizational structure and how to turn failure into an opportunity.
Practical Programming in C at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
This undergraduate class requires some basic knowledge of programming. Downloadable lecture notes are available, and topics include external libraries, debugging and multi-threaded programming. Students may also access optional assignments and final project guidelines.
Related to List of Free Online Game Programming and Development Courses
- Recently Updated
Find out about an associate-level educational option that teaches programming and game design. Research common courses and...
Students interested in studying computer game development in Atlanta have few schools to choose from. Read about the top local...
Computer game programming is generally an undergraduate degree program. Continue reading for an overview of the training, as...
Read about the curriculum and requirements of an associate's degree in computer programming and Web development. Learn about...
- Online Game Programming Schools: How to Choose
- Salary and Career Info for Game Simulation Programming Specialists
- 8 Free Game Design and Development Courses and Resources Online
- Fleet Operations Manager: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Community Services Worker: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Audio-Visual Production Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Hospitality Administration Careers: Salary Info, Job Options & Requirements
- Schools with Game Software Development Programs: How to Choose
- Robotics Programming Degrees and Certificates: Program Overviews
- Physical Therapy: Required Education to Be a Physical Therapist
- RN: Educational Requirements to Become a Registered Nurse
- Bachelor of Arts (BA): Criminal Justice Degree Overview