Online Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Courses for Credit
While some free online LPN classes can award continuing education credit, these CEUs are generally for nurses already working in the healthcare field. Students who would like to apply the time spent using an online resource towards an entry-level LPN program might want to consider options that can lead to college credit. Study.com offers one of the most cost-efficient alternatives to completing traditional courses. Content is delivered via lesson transcripts, video lessons and self-assessment quizzes that are available to registered members.
For significantly less time and expense than it takes to finish a college class, students can access the Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course and go on to earn real college credit. Experienced instructors cover relevant healthcare law in addition to nursing best practices. Chapters in this course include:
- The Profession of Nursing - Learn nurses' functions and roles, steps involved in the nursing process and procedures for maintaining patient records.
- Nursing Safety - Find out how to identify ecological hazards, what devices are used in nursing to promote safety, and potential radiation, physical and mechanical hazards that can exist in healthcare settings.
- Medication Administration & Nursing - Topics include general principles of medication administration, how and where drugs are administered on the human body, and factors that influence the effectiveness of a medication.
List of Free Online LPN Classes and Educational Materials
College of Southern Maryland
- Fundamentals of Nursing is a free online course that teaches various nursing fundamentals and consists of 19 video lectures that can be viewed via YouTube. Some of the course topics include sterile gloving, dressing change, tube insertion and parental medication.
Des Moines University
- Medical Terminology goes over human anatomy terminology, such as the proper medical names for digestive, circulatory, nervous, reproductive, urinary, respiratory and musculoskeletal systems. Students also learn terms commonly associated with cancer and standard over-the-counter medications. Students who wish to have a certificate can register and pay for a certificate of participation upon completing the course.
Johns Hopkins University
- Principles of Human Nutrition looks at the ways in which nutrition can affect health, physiology and disease in humans. Common class topics include energy homeostasis, obesity, lipids, malnutrition, amino acids, antioxidants and dietary supplements. Although the slide presentations and lectures are available free online, the required and recommended textbooks must be purchased separately.
Lincoln Land Community College
- Nursing Skills is a free online nursing course available to students as a YouTube video. Consisting of 8 video lectures, this class delves into various issues pertinent to the nursing profession. Topics covered include central line dressing and connector change, catheterization, initiation and discontinuation of intravenous therapy, intramuscular injection, sterile gloving and injecting insulin.
- Improving Critical Thinking and Clinical Thinking can be utilized by LPNs, Certified Nursing Assistants or any individual working in the nursing or medical profession. Students will learn the definition of and develop clinical reasoning and critical thinking skills. The text-only lesson also features a multiple-choice quiz.
- Online Tutorial for NCLEX Examination is a free online tutorial to help prepare aspiring nurses for their licensure exam. The tutorial can be downloaded as a PDF file. It offers information on what the test entails and what to expect when taking the test.
University of Michigan
- Advanced Emergency Trauma is designed to help medical professionals improve on providing emergency care to patients. The course includes didactic educational materials that can be downloaded into a ZIP file. The 20 lectures can be viewed through Microsoft PowerPoint of downloaded as a PDF.
- Patient Communication Skills helps aspiring healthcare professionals with patient communication skills. This program, originally aimed at dental students, teaches communication techniques that can be used by anyone working in healthcare. Through performance keys and videos, learners study topics such as cross-cultural patient communication, listening skills, patient interaction, patient interviewing and telephone skills. All materials for this course are available for free download.
- Nursing is composed of 19 lecture videos ranging in subject matter from how to improve the care of older patients to tactics to develop the health for newborns and women internationally. The videos range from 6 minutes to nearly 90 minutes.