List of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Classes and Courses
Free online courses in mechanical engineering are offered by real schools. Learn which mechanical engineering courses are available, what topics they cover and which ones lead to real college credit.
Free Online Course Info
Free mechanical engineering courses available online usually don't offer credit to students. Depending on the course, students may need the ability to view JPEG images or download PDF files. In some courses, special software needs to be downloaded before students can view assignments.
Free Online Mechanical Engineering Class List
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Computational Mechanics of Materials studies the physical responses of engineering materials. This is a graduate-level course, and students learn details of elasticity and dynamism and are encouraged to apply the course material to real engineering problems. The curriculum strongly emphasizes computer algorithms used in programming assignments. The course features downloadable lecture notes.
- Electrochemical Processing of Materials focuses on an array of advanced topics for mechanical engineering students. For example, the curriculum covers superconducting magnets, aqueous and non-aqueous electrolytes and electrochemical characterization. Students can download assignments, exams and other course materials.
- Elements of Mechanical Design draws on each student's prior engineering knowledge to explore the creation of machines. Students work with brakes, drives, motors and other elements, and they learn physics concepts such as kinematics to build mechanical devices under time limits. OCW students won't be able to participate in labs for this course, but they can access lecture notes and assignments.
- Engineering Mechanics I is presented as an introductory mechanical engineering class. The curriculum examines atomic behavior, beam structures, stress and strain tensors and other key engineering concepts. Classical theories of Galileo and Newton and contemporary examples, such as the collapse of the World Trade Center towers, illuminate laws of motion. Students can download lecture notes as well as assignments to test their knowledge of the course material.
- Mechanical Assembly and Its Role in Product Development looks at aspects of machine assembly from the construction of small parts to the architectural patterns of large machines. Students examine software and data flow as well as physical design. In addition to lecture notes, students can also access project summaries and deliverables.
- Mechanics and Materials II discusses the variables in material behavior while exploring beam elasticity and plasticity and examining effective ways to use fracture and fatigue in construction. The course handles both theoretical and quantitative skills. OCW students can download most of the course lectures, as well as exams, assignments and exam solutions.
Polytechnic University of Madrid
- Mechanical Devices for Industry presents the foundational training needed to analyze and synthesize mechanisms. The syllabus of the course is focused on the synthesis of functions, multi-link mechanisms, velocity and acceleration and trajectories. Students may also download a reading list and lecture notes. Students who want to utilize the exercises need to download the mechanism design software called SAM, which can be accessed from the course page.
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Statics serves as an introduction to one of the foundational concepts of mechanics. Statics covers the statics of particles, rigid bodies and distributed forces. Students will also look at diagrams and 2D designs. Each topic includes a downloadable lecture and course materials.