Online Networking Courses for Credit
Free courses available online usually don't offer college credit. Students who want to get a college degree instead might want to research online courses that offer a credit option. These courses charge a nominal fee, but it's generally much less than what students would pay for the course if they were taking it at a traditional college.
Study.com's Business 104: Information Systems and Computer Applications course is an affordable option for students who want to get started on the path to earning college credit. A free transcript is available for all the lessons in this course, but members have the benefit of watching the video lessons led by professionals in this field. Chapters in this course include:
- Information Systems in Organizations - Learn about the components of information systems and examine networks, hardware and software.
- Internet, Intranet, and Extranet - Examine IP addresses, TCP/IP communication protocol, Web design, programming languages, virtual private networks and Open System Interconnection.
- Network Systems Technology - Subjects in this chapter include telecommunications and network operating systems, network types and wireless communication.
- Systems Development - Topics covered in this chapter include systems development tools and phases, life cycles, application development methods and project management.
Free Online Non-Credited Networking Courses
A variety of free computer networking courses are available online for learners at different levels. These free computer networking courses do not lead to college credit. Students can take advantage of the free courses to advance in a career or to learn new skills in the field of computer science.
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
- Computer Networks is a series of 40 video lectures that cover topics in network topology, telecom networks, cellular networks and wireless networks, to name a few.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Computer System Engineering centers around network engineering, privacy, encryption and virtual memory at the undergraduate level. Video lectures are provided along with course lectures notes and exams with solutions.
- Network Optimization is a series of 23 slide shows covering topics in data structures, algorithms and network flow.
- Information Technology Essentials includes lecture notes on networks, network security, databases and enterprise systems. Exams are provided without solutions.
- Data Communication Networks covers Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs), probability theory, networking issues and layered network architecture through PDF lecture notes.
- Network and Computer Security focuess on areas in software protection, secure operating systems and risk assessment.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Computer Communication Networks consists of 26 video lectures and downloadable class notes.
- Broadband and Optical Networks goes into topics of optical networking, traffic engineering and internet telephony.
- Experimental Networking is a lab class consisting of assignments, quizzes and projects.