List of Free Online Nutrition Courses and Classes
See our list of the top free online nutrition courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that is right for you.
Online Nutrition Classes that Lead to College Credit
Free nutrition resources won't give you college credit, but Study.com's online nutrition classes offer an alternative to high-priced traditional online classes. For a low membership fee, you can prepare for credit-granting exams in nutrition and many other subjects. You might like these online classes:
- With Science of Nutrition, you can learn about healthy diet planning, water's role in nutrition, and the importance of vitamins.
- Our Principles of Health course provides an overview of nutrition, as well as chapters on fitness and weight management.
Free Online Non-Credit Nutrition Course Info
Online nutrition courses covering a wide variety of topics are available through many schools. Students don't earn grades or credits, but courses are self-paced and don't require registration. Classes may not include the full content of the original courses, and specific hardware or software may be necessary to make full use of the materials offered.
- Breastfeeding and Atopic Disease
- Health Impact of Active Cultures: Probiotics
- Practical Application of Probiotics in Health and Disease
- Your Brain Can Help You Eat Better
Harvard's online options include both webcasts and recordings. Users will need Macromedia Flash player in order to view the first 3 courses. Breastfeeding and Atopic Disease is a 5-part webcast that addresses the prevention of allergies in babies through breastfeeding. The development of allergies related to exclusive or prolonged breastfeeding is also discussed. The 6-part webcast about the Health Impact of Active Cultures: Probiotics presents information about the science of probiotic bacteria for the prevention and treatment of certain health issues. The use of probiotics in pediatrics and geriatrics is addressed, along with use related to irritable bowel syndrome.
A 4-part webcast, Practical Application of Probiotics in Health and Disease presents research suggesting that healthy probiotic bacteria may be beneficial in treating diarrhea and allergies in all age groups. Your Brain Can Help You Eat Better is a 6-session audio/video webcast. Topics such as the causes of obesity, the automatic effects of food marketing, self-control related to eating, combating food addictions, commercial weight-loss programs and childhood obesity are discussed.
Johns Hopkins University
- Critical Analysis of Popular Diets and Dietary Supplements
- International Nutrition
- Principles of Human Nutrition
Learners will need Adobe Reader to read the lecture files for these courses. Each course includes lecture materials, lists of readings, assignments and other resources. Through the 6 lectures of Critical Analysis of Popular Diets and Dietary Supplements, students will learn skills to plan successful weight-control programs. The 15 lectures that comprise International Nutrition explore the topics of malnutrition, economic development and possible interventions. Principles of Human Nutrition presents topics such as dietary sources, nutrient requirements, nutrition related to growth and the diet's role in chronic diseases, through its 8 lectures.
- Eating to Win: Activity, Diet and Weight Control
- Nutrition: Proteins
- Nutrition: Vitamins and Minerals
The 3 Open University courses are available online or through content feed, and may be downloaded or printed. Eating to Win: Activity, Diet and Weight Control is a 6-hour unit that looks at the importance of nutrition and hydration related to sports weight-management and other physical activity. The 8-hour Nutrition: Proteins course examines how proteins are absorbed and digested. In the 10-hour Nutrition: Vitamins and Minerals course, students will learn the distinction between a vitamin and a mineral, look at major mineral elements, examine the 2 main groups of vitamins and learn why fluid balance is important.
Users can find PDF files of supplementary reading materials and links to related websites in these courses. Agricultural Science and Policy I presents the importance of natural resource conservation for healthy food production. The text of 17 lectures is available, in addition to practice quizzes and an image gallery. The 15 lectures in Nutrition and Medicine are available in text or slide format. Learners will study the role of nutrition related to health and development of disease.
Transcripts for over 20 lectures are available through download to learners who take this course. The Psychology, Biology and Politics of Food course includes topics on the study of eating, such as preferences, aversions, comfort and ritual. The course also delves into the agriculture industry, malnutrition, obesity and food advertising.
Related to List of Free Online Nutrition Courses and Classes
- Recently Updated
Degrees in fitness and nutrition typically cover physical wellness and nutrition, anatomy and exercise science. Find out about...
Nutrition majors typically have an interest in science, health and human physiology. For those who fall into this category,...
Find about two top schools with doctoral programs in nutrition. Discover school rankings, program offerings and information...
Learn who can enroll in a clinical nutrition certificate program and how certification in the field can be earned. Get...
- Career Options and Salary Info for a Masters in Nutrition
- Nutritionist: Overview for Starting a Career in Nutrition
- Animal Nutrition Jobs: Career Options and Requirements
- Neonatology Physician Assistant: Salary and Career Information
- How Do I Use Study.com's Assign Lesson Feature?
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Career Information for a Degree in Computer Systems
- Clinical Nutrition Career Options and Education Requirements
- How to Become a Certified Nutrition Specialist
- Major Gifts Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- FNP - Family Nurse Practitioner: Educational Requirements
- Open Education Around the World: Study.com Speaks with The Open University