List of Free Online Photography Lessons, Courses and Tutorials
See our list of the top free online photography courses. Learn about what courses are available and what topics they cover to find the course that's right for you.
Free Online Lesson, Course and Tutorial Info
Regardless of where photography training is found, students won't be able to earn college credit from any sources. Additionally, most of these sources expect that students already have a digital camera.
Free Online Photography Lesson, Course and Tutorial List
- Basic Photography is broken down into 8 categories that cover topics in editing, equipment, exposure, lighting, composition, subjects and color. Additional topics include red-eye removal, shutter speed, depth of field, focus stacking, studio lighting and rule of thirds. Most lessons offer training through written descriptions, pictures and diagrams. This website also provides video tutorials for students looking to delve into photo editing.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Computational Camera and Photography offers training though audio lectures and lecture notes. Most required readings are also provided through free online resources. Students can test their skills by working on homework assignments and a final project. Since this is a free online course, students won't be able to participate in any in-class activities, related presentations, guest lecturers or exams. This course covers topics in wavelengths and colors, optics, lenses, coded and infrared imaging, lightfields and hyperspectral imaging techniques.
- Stories without Words: Photographing the First Year was developed to show students how to document their experiences through photography. Since most of the reading assignments are offered through books, students may need to rely on concepts covered in this course's lecture notes. Students won't be able to participate in in-class lab sessions or meetings. This course also offers assignment files for students who wish to apply learned concepts. Topics covered during this course include image viewing, light and web design.
- Digital Photography includes interactive diagrams and educational text. Students can also test their knowledge by studying midterm and final exam slides, completing weekly photograph assignments and answering final exam practice questions. Topics covered during this course include spatial convolution, thin lenses, gamut mapping, color matching, telephoto zoom lenses, phase detection and depth of field.
- Digital SLR Photography Guide covers topics in understanding camera settings, proper focusing techniques, exposure compensation, RAW file formats and techniques for beginners. This website also provides students with lens reviews, camera comparisons, lens suggestions and photograph editing software suggestions. Most lessons are presented with photographs and training articles.
- Online Photography Course is separated into 5 lessons covering basic composition rules, exposure, photograph composition, camera lenses and histograms. Each lesson consists of diagrams, explanatory articles and a table of contents. Most sections also offer students assignments that can be used to develop and demonstrate skills.
- Online Photography Lessons on this website cover topics in exposure, shutter effects, balance, negative space, subject selection, intent, depth of field, rule of thirds and diagonal lines. Each lesson consists of brief subject explanations. At the end of each lesson, this website provides exercises for hands-on training. If a student is new to photography, they can also find a section that covers camera basics.