Free Online Course Information
For both the aspiring technician and the amateur TV repair person, several online resources are available. Most of these materials are available in a text-based format and are accessible to all. Because these resources are free, no credits are awarded, though users will not have to worry about registration or tuition.
Free Online TV Repair Courses and Materials List
- Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Television Sets begins with a discussion about the future of televisions before explaining the fundamentals of television structure and safety guidelines. Tips on how to troubleshoot common problems are also provided. These lessons are primarily text-based with some illustrations.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Power Electronics teaches students about the relationship between electronics and energy control. With the provided comprehensive lecture notes, students can learn about energy conversion in electronic devices. Optional assignments are available as well. The resources list provides a link to a power manufacturer database and links to various electronics software programs that can be downloaded for free.
- Repair TV - Television Repair focuses on repairing flat panel televisions. Students become familiar with various parts of the TV and focus on common problems. In addition to learning about capacitors, students learn about testing and soldering.
University of Pennsylvania
- Safety Guidelines for High Voltage and/or Line Powered Equipment examines safety precautions when handling high voltage line-powered equipment. Author Samuel M. Goldwasser advises that, while these devices are normally safe to handle, safety may be jeopardized when making repairs or adjustments. He also explains how to test for device safety after repairs have been made.
- Sony TV Tuner and IF Solder Connection Problems explains problems and solutions for bad solder connections in older Sony TVs. Goldwasser diagnoses the problem of faulty solder connections and offers a variety of solutions. Additionally, in the text-only lesson, he discusses other miscellaneous problems such as erratic picture and sound, noisy audio and intermittent picture.