Online Tourism Courses for Credit
Free courses and lectures can be found online, though their presence is scarce and they offer no credit. At a lower cost than junior college, Study.com allows students to learn about the tourism industry while also starting the path to earn credit for school. The engaging lessons found here are taught by professional instructors and include interactive practice quizzes provide opportunities for self-assessment. Students have the option of reviewing the material through videos or text lessons, with features making for simple navigation either way.
Students can take Hospitality & Tourism Management Training, which introduces core concepts in the tourism field. You'll learn about the operations and management aspects of this industry. Chapters from this course include:
- Hospitality Industry Basics - Topics include customer service and the importance of training in the industry.
- Menu Planning - Learn the basics and significance of menu planning.
- Customer Service and Housekeeping - Look at the duties and procedures of night audits.
- Restaurant Services and Types - Explore the types and styles of restaurant services as well as the differences between a full service and limited service restaurant.
Free Online Course Info
Full-length, free online tourism courses aren't common. Instead, students might need to turn to single podcasts or lectures for training. Individuals who make use of the following resources won't be able to earn course credit, but this type of training can be accessed at any time and completed at one's own pace.
Free Online Tourism Class List
- The Grand Tour of Europe looks at the social and cultural relationship of Europe and Britain. The lecturer explains what a Grand Tour was and how it set the stage for the concept of traveling solely for enjoyment. The lecture also looks at people who took the Grand Tour and what countries they might have visited. Students can listen to the lecture or read a transcript using their Web browser.
Harvard University Extension School
- Environmental Management of International Tourism Development: Lecture 1 is the only lecture available for free through this course. Other course lectures require students to be enrolled at Harvard University. This lecture is presented as a video with a PowerPoint presentation that highlights key topics. Topics presented during this lecture include tourism industry overviews, related disciplinary perspectives, tourism statistics, tourism's role in the developing world and tourism economics.
National Open University of Nigeria
- Global Tourism Issues covers topics including social impacts, tourism marketing, sustainable development, tourism strategies, empirical market segmentation and ethical considerations. The .PDF file, which is just over 300 pages, contains 5 modules and 20 units; there is no access to exams, assignments or other cited reference materials.
- Hospitality and Tourism Management is a 15-unit course that covers topics in world geography, transportation methods, computer reservation systems, travel agent roles, hotel and service classifications, labor relations, administration procedures and pricing systems. The .PDF files for this course contain reading materials and assessment exercises, but no additional resources.
- Tourism as an Industry covers tourism regulations, constituents of tourism organizations, supply-related problems and tourism system demands. The 67-page .PDF file is broken into 5 units and contains several diagrams along with the text.
University of California - Irvine
- Spa and Hospitality Operations focuses on administrative and operational aspects of managing a private club or a spa in the hospitality and tourism industry. The materials include summaries of 9 areas and a case study. Topics include human resources in spa operations, as well as software evaluation, revenue generation and compensation.