Long Island is situated east of Manhattan in the state of New York. While the island technically encompasses four counties (Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk), the majority of the land mass is made up of Nassau and Suffolk. The largest contiguous island in the country, it's roughly 118 miles long and 23 miles wide and covers roughly 1,723 square miles. According to World Population Review, at approximately 7.75 million people in 2013, Long Island was the most populous island in any state or U.S. territory.
According to the New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL) from information taken from the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages, the following were largest private sector employers in Nassau and Suffolk counties in March 2014. The list is in alphabetical order only.
- All Metro Home Care
- CSC Holdings (Cablevision)
- Hofstra University
- Home Depot
- North Shore-LIJ Health System
- Stop & Shop Supermarkets
- Target Corporation
- Winthrop-University Hospital Association
The NYSDOL reports that the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing jobs on Long Island over the 2012-2022 decade.
- Meeting, Convention and Event Planners
- Physician Assistants
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Home Health Aides
- Medical Assistants
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Personal Care Aides
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Postsecondary Health Specialties Teachers