Master's Degree in Holistic Health and Medicine: Program Summaries
Explore a holistic health master's degree program summary here. Learn about prerequisites and potential courses and consider some popular career options. See job outlook information and salary statistics for dietitians and nutritionists.
When analyzing a person's health, holistic medicine takes into account all aspects of the individual - spirit, body and mind. Holistic health and medicine is similar to integrative healing or integrative medicine. However, master's degree programs in holistic health and medicine are not sufficient preparation for those interested in becoming holistic physicians.
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree. In a master's degree program, students learn to address causes of illnesses by focusing on areas such as physiology, meditation and healing techniques. Students can tailor their program in a specific area of holistic health through electives, and the program culminates in a hands-on practical experience.
Individuals interested in entering a holistic health and medicine master's degree program must have a 4-year degree from an accredited college or university, and some schools may prefer individuals with degrees in health, natural science or social science fields. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 may be required. In addition, applicants may have to submit recommendation letters and a purpose statement, as well as completing an interview.
Within a holistic graduate degree program, students may take part in a practical work experience or complete a master's project. They may also take electives in such areas as Ayurvedic healing or homeopathy, while at the same time completing required courses in:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Energy healing techniques (i.e. electromagnetic therapy)
- Holistic pathophysiology
- Spirituality and health
- Meditation and stress reduction strategies
Popular Career Options
Sometimes, holistic health and medicine programs are pursued by allied health and medical professionals, such as physical therapists, athletic trainers or nurses. However, a master's degree in holistic health and medicine may also be beneficial to individuals interested in becoming:
- Holistic health and wellness counselors
- Holistic nutrition consultants
- Holistic health studies instructors
Job Outlook and Salary Information
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) did not keep statistics specifically on holistic medicine careers as of October 2013, but predicted above-average job growth of 26% for all health diagnosing and treating practitioners from 2010-2020. For dietitians and nutritionists, for example, the BLS projected job growth of 20%, which is still faster than average. As of May 2012, the BLS reported a median annual salary of $55,240 for dietitians and nutritionists.
Continuing Education Information
Graduates of a master's degree program in holistic health and medicine may decide to pursue more specific complementary alternative medicine certificate programs. Specialty programs may be available in such areas as Chinese herbal medicines, acupuncture or aromatherapy. Alternatively, those interested in becoming holistic physicians may pursue a Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.) degree.
Related to Master's Degree in Holistic Health and Medicine: Program Summaries
- Recently Updated
Some traditional medical school programs include holistic courses or complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) training for...
Learn about Ph.D. programs that are related to holistic health and medicine. Read about the prerequisites for doctoral...
Students can earn an associate's degree or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in holistic health and medicine online. The associate's...
Learn how to become a holistic health practitioner. Research the education requirements, training, licensure information and...
- Schools with Holistic Medicine Programs: How to Choose
- Holistic Training: Adult Education for a Career in Holistic Medicine
- Online Holistic Health Practitioner Certification Info
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Veterinary Science
- Careers in Architecture and Construction: An Overview of Options
- How to Earn a Bounty Hunter License: Info and Requirements
- Continuing Education Options for Law Enforcement Professionals
- Holistic Medicine Certification and Certificate Program Options
- Holistic Health Practitioner Certificate: Program Summary
- Engineering Design Career Requirements and Information
- Hospitality Administration Careers: Salary Info, Job Options & Requirements
- Certification Info for Accounting Technician Jobs