Music Production Masters Degree Program Overviews
Master's of Science in Music Technology degree programs are designed to provide graduate students with an advanced understanding of various music recording and production techniques and tools.
Master's degree programs in music technology allow students to explore new digital technologies in the music production and sound recording fields, including engineering and mixing. They are aimed at students with a background in musical theory, computing or audio recording and engineering. Taking about two years to complete, curriculum usually includes classroom lectures, individual research projects, hands-on studio time and a thesis project or paper. Students will also learn about enhancements in and how to design and develop audio software, music compression, distribution methods, playback and multimedia. For admission, a baccalaureate degree, especially in the areas of audio engineering, music computing, sound recording and production, is required. The submission of standardized test scores, proof of prior coursework, reference letters and a work portfolio are also expected.
- Program Levels: Bachelor's, master's and doctorate
- Prerequisites: A bachelor's degree, academic transcript, Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores, letters of recommendation and a portfolio
- Program Length: On average, 2 years
- Other Requirements: In some cases, a solid background in a related field and a thesis for graduation
Master's of Science in Music Technology
The majority of courses included in a graduate program for music production and technology cover new and emerging advancements in the field, in addition to a music production thesis project. Examples of common courses are listed below:
- Principles of music production
- Music technology
- Foundations of multimedia technology
- Multimedia design applications
- Sound engineering
- Audio production
Popular Career Options
There are several career opportunities, like the position of a studio engineer, available for graduates of a master's degree program related to music production. Some of these include:
- Music producer
- Audio engineer
- Sound mixer
- Music and sound recorder
- Audio technician
- Re-recording mixer
Employment Outlook and Salary Information
Music directors and composers, which includes producers, are projected to have 5% employment growth during the 2012-2022 decade, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov). Salaries for music producers vary greatly. Payscale.com reported a salary range of $20,327 to $154,335 annually for music producers in 2015. The median annual salary was listed as $48,870.
Continuing Education Options
A few public and private universities offer Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in Music Technology for students who are interested in conducting advanced research or teaching at a university. Such programs typically take five and seven years to complete and require students to finish a publishable dissertation advancing study in the field.
Related to Music Production Masters Degree Program Overviews
- Recently Updated
Learn about what a music video producer does. Explore the profession by finding out the training and skills requirements,...
Although rare, online music production programs are available at both the associate and bachelor's degree levels. Students...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a music producer. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as...
Music video production assistants are the 'hands-on' members of music video crews, and their job duties can range from...
- Diary of an OCW Music Student: Final Thoughts
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 10: Temperaments, Roots of 2 and Conclusions
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 9: A 12-Tone Pythagorean Set
- Event Management Associate Degree Program Information
- Associate Degree Options for Aspiring Police Officers
- Substance Rehabilitation Counselor Certificate Programs
- Bachelor's Degree in Electronics: Program Information
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 8: Tuning with Pure Major and Minor Triads
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 7: The Minor Triad and a Circular System of Thirds
- Associate of Multimedia Development and Management: Degree Overview
- Hotel and Restaurant Management: Diploma Program Summary
- Biotechnology Careers: Options and Requirements