Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Acupuncture and Acupressure
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Homeopathic Medicine
- Movement Therapies
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Polarity Therapy
- Traditional Eastern Medicine and Herbology
- Yoga Therapy and Instructor
Acupuncture refers to a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine that uses the insertion of needles to treat ailments in the body. Training courses in acupuncture are typically found at the master's level and take 3-4 years to complete. However, most of these initial training programs are only offered on campus due to the need for hands-on practical experience.
Online classes in acupuncture are generally designed for those who already have a degree in acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine or another healthcare field and can be found as part of continuing education. They may be used to fulfill continuing education requirements for renewing certification or licensure, or they can be used to expand one's knowledge of holistic healthcare techniques. National certification is offered by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) and is often required for employment as an acupuncturist. Some states require licensure along with national certification.
Online Acupuncture Courses
The following list is a sample of commonly offered online acupuncture courses.
- Chinese Medicine Introductory Course: This course explains the historical background to the development of traditional Chinese medicine. Philosophical and ideological concepts are discussed, including Yin-Yang theory and Taoism. Students learn about the importance of qi, body fluids and blood in relation to disease causation.
- Diagnostic Skills Course: Acupuncturists can assess patients using several different methods, such as observation and palpation. Students learn comprehensive methods to gain information on patients with special focus placed on pulse reading and tongue analysis.
- Point Location and Meridian Theory Course: In this course, students learn about specific regions and points on the body that are interrelated to other parts of the body. The course focuses on digestive, cardiovascular and respiratory systems and teaches students how to identify and diagnose various abnormalities. This course may combine lectures with lab sections.
- Acupuncture Treatment of Disease Course: This course covers needling techniques with focus on proper angle, depth and manipulation of needles. Students also learn about safety procedures and infection control. Coursework explains how disease can spread through contact with needles. This course may involve a practicum component.
- Acupuncture Safety Course: In this course students will learn the most vulnerable points, and how to safely apply acupuncture in these areas. The course will also cover medical waste disposal procedures and ways to avoid the spread of bacteria, infection and disease.