Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Large Animal and Equine Medicine
- Veterinary Anatomy
- Veterinary Biomedical Sciences
- Veterinary Clinical Sciences
- Veterinary Infectious Diseases
- Veterinary Medicine - DVM
- Veterinary Microbiology and Immunobiology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Physiology
- Veterinary Preventive Medicine and Public Health
- Veterinary Toxicology and Pharmacology
Online Courses in Animal Health
The following descriptions summarize commonly offered online animal health courses.
- Introductory Veterinary Medical Terminology Course: This animal health course teaches students correct veterinary medical terminology and its proper use. Emphasis is placed on medical prefixes and suffixes. Terminology includes that used for small and large domestic animals, as well as exotic animals.
- Anatomy and Physiology of Small Animals Course: This course introduces students to basic animal function and structure, from individual cells to entire body systems. Students gain an understanding of animals' anatomy and physiological functions, particularly in relation to keeping animals healthy.
- Caring for Pets Course: Students explore basic principles of pet care, including providing shelter, watering, feeding and maintaining health and hygiene. They also learn about confinement and pet laws and licensing. This course covers a variety of animals, including cats, dogs, birds, fish, rabbits and pet rodents.
- Veterinary Medical Records Course: This course stresses the importance of maintaining correct and accurate veterinary medical records to ensure appropriate animal care. Students learn about health record content, documentation guidelines, electronic records and security.
- Veterinary Pharmacology Course: This course provides students with a broad understanding of the effects, usage and handling of common veterinary medications. Subjects covered include the procedures for prescribing drugs and administrative requirements for dispensing controlled substances.
- Aquatic Wildlife Health Issues Course: This course will cover the history and anatomy of aquatic species. Additional topics include common health issues for these animals, such as dolphins, sea turtles and seals.
- Anesthesia for Veterinary Technicians Course: In this course, students will examine pharmacology associated with anesthesia for animals. The techniques used and types of equipment used for these procedures will also be covered.
Online animal health courses may be offered as part of veterinary assistant diploma programs or degree programs, such as an associate or bachelor's degree in veterinary technology. Some courses may require lab work or practical experience, which can usually be completed at a veterinary office or animal health center. Courses may also be offered on their own for self-enrichment purposes. Depending on the level of courses they complete, graduates might find employment opportunities with veterinary offices, specialty hospitals, veterinary equipment and supplies, or humane societies.
Students can take animal health courses via online diploma programs, or associate's and bachelor's degrees. Topics for these programs include medical terminology, veterinary medical records and pharmacology.