Courses in architectural design are often found as stand-alone continuing education courses, as well as within bachelor's or master's degree programs in architecture or landscape architecture. Some certificate programs in drafting or computer-aided design (CAD) also include courses that teach students to create architectural designs and models. Many courses also cover construction techniques and materials. Online classes in architectural design typically require students to have printers to download and print blueprints, schematics, maps, charts and photographs. Students may also need a digital camera and scanner, and some classes also require students to have specific CAD software programs.
Online Architectural Design Courses
The list below contains a sample of some of the architectural design courses available to online students.
- Architectural Design Fundamentals Course: This class covers the basic theories, strategies and concepts of form, shape, symmetry and patterns in the physical world and how to translate them onto paper. Students learn to combine design with aesthetics and weigh those considerations against time, quality and cost.
- History of Architecture Course: Students in this online course learn the history of architecture as a discipline, an art form and a practical need by reviewing concepts and examining images of buildings. They study human architectural history from prehistoric and ancient edifices to contemporary structures.
- Sustainability in Architecture Course: Class participants examine the roles and responsibilities of architects, designers and urban planners to address and resolve energy concerns. They review how architectural design principles are best combined with technological advances to reduce pollution and promote effective energy use.
- Computer-Aided Design for Architectural Design Course: This class demonstrates practical and effective methods for using CAD programs to draft architectural designs, plans and blueprints for buildings, roads, bridges and other structures. It presents both 2- and 3-dimensional object modeling, layering, editing, auxiliary views and rendering techniques.
- Architectural Drafting Course: In this course students will learn the fundamentals of drafting, from techniques for using equipment to vocabulary, lettering and symbols. Students will also focus on plan construction, with special attention to correct line weight, and scale.