Because auto repair technicians need to be familiar with the inner workings of cars and other vehicles, students typically can't complete an entire educational program online. However, online auto repair courses are available as part of certificate and associate degree programs. Some programs specialize in a specific type of automobile, such as Honda.
Most graduates find work as auto repair technicians in mechanic shops or dealership service centers. Some seek certification from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, which offers many different specializations.
Online Auto Repair Courses and Programs
Below are some commonly offered auto repair classes that can be taken partially or fully online.
- Automotive Technician Techniques Online Course: This class covers multiple aspects of automotive technology, including auto repair. Lessons focus on areas such as engines, electrical systems, brakes and batteries. Students may want to apply the techniques they learn by working at automotive repair shops.
- Repair for Auto Body Specialists Online Program: Students interested in auto body repair can enroll in certificate programs that consist of several courses. These courses cover basic materials, refinishing, cost estimating and metalworking. As in other online auto repair courses, students may choose to supplement their virtual studies with hands-on work.
- Auto Repair for Specific Auto Brands Online Course: Students hoping to work in the service center of a dealership often receive training in specific car brands. These courses are usually offered in a hybrid format. Students complete some of their work online and visit campus for hands-on practice.
- Auto Electronics Repair Online Course: Also available as a hybrid course, an automotive electronics course covers wire repair, diagnostics and circuits. During the hands-on component, students work with real auto electrical systems and circuit boards.
- Suspensions Course: Students examine the system that supports the vehicle's weight. Topics covered include automotive frames, types of suspensions and the part that suspension systems play in steering and controlling the car.