Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aircraft Powerplant Tech
- Airframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technologies
- Autobody Repair
- Automotive Mechanics
- Avionics Repair and Maintenance
- Diesel Mechanics
- Engine Machinist
- Heavy Vehicle and Truck Tech
- Marine Watercraft Repair and Maintenance
- Motorcycle Repair and Maintenance
- Small Engine Mechanics
- Vehicle Emissions Inspection
Online Courses for Auto Technicians
Below are descriptions of some online auto technician courses.
- Modern Automotive Technology Course: Students learn how to diagnose, construct, repair and service automotive systems. Using illustrations and 3D models, students learn about emissions, air bags, security systems, suspension systems, brake systems, tools, safety and diagnostic procedures.
- Automotive Body and Collision Repair Course: This course instructs students how to weld, diagnose and repair damage to cars and trucks. Students learn how to use sheet metal, plastics and electrical components to repair auto damage. Other topics include power tools, air compression, body repair, fillers, glazes and cost estimation.
- Electrical Systems Course: Students study various automotive electrical systems, including chassis control, powertrain control, battery control, hybrid control and body control. Vehicle communication networks are also discussed.
- Business Practices for the Automotive Industry Course: This course teaches students how to manage independent shops or corporate dealerships. Topics include staff and inventory management, financial policies, financial statement analysis, industry report systems and industry standards.
- Suspension Systems Course: This online course examines the components and functions of automotive suspension (the systems that bear and distribute the weight of vehicles). Students learn how suspension systems help make the ride comfortable and help the steering, braking and control systems operate.
- Engine Repair Course: In this course, students learn various concepts associated with diagnosing engine problems. Additional topics include engine coolant systems, engine noises and engine reassembly.
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Course: This course teaches students about the importance of modern HVAC maintenance. Students will study areas like the air-conditioning refrigeration cycle and HVAC service and repair.
Students seeking online auto technician courses generally complete them as part of larger certificate, diploma, associate's degree or bachelor's degree programs in automotive technology. These courses teach auto repair, refinishing, painting and detailing techniques. Graduates of certificate or degree programs may be qualified to sit for the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams and can seek entry-level automotive service technician positions in auto repair shops or car dealerships.
Online auto technician courses are available through diploma, certificate, associate's and bachelor's degree programs. Areas of study include engine repair, HVAC maintenance and repair and suspension systems.