Biomedical technology programs provide students with the skills needed for careers working with biomedical equipment in a clinical or manufacturing setting. Imaging, patient monitoring and mechanical equipment, such as lifts or wheelchairs, are covered in the curriculum. At times, these programs may be described as biomedical engineering technology degrees. However, these programs should not be confused with biomedical engineering programs, which involve the manipulation of molecular or cellular materials in living bodies.
Online Biomedical Technician Courses
Below are some online courses for biomedical technicians found at various colleges.
- Biomedical Technology and Patients Course: The needs of patients found in a variety of clinical settings are explored in this course. Enrollees study the biomedical equipment and proper procedures used to work with patients in settings such as trauma departments, as well as intensive care and surgical units.
- Medical Rules and Regulations Course: Various medical regulations, state laws and codes of practice can apply to anyone working with patients or medical equipment in a healthcare setting. Students learn the rules governing medical equipment use in clinical settings, sanitation regulations and patient issues, such as privacy laws and ethical practices.
- Human Biology Course: Coursework in applied biology often includes anatomy, physiology and medical terminology; these studies are vital for anyone working with patients in a clinical setting. Students learn the proper medical names and terms for body parts and medical procedures, study the human body and become acquainted with the physical processes that occur within the body.
- Imaging Systems Course: Students are introduced to the various types of clinical equipment used by biomedical technicians, including imaging and monitoring systems. Sonography, radiography and computed tomography systems may be covered, and the course may also include instruction in the basics of electrocardiogram monitoring and medical laser technology.
- Fundamentals of Medical Device Engineering:Medical device manufacturers undergo unique challenges in producing the equipment that biomedical technicians work with. In this course, students are introduced to the ways these devices are created and produced to function within industry guidelines. Among the topics discussed are quality considerations for designers and recent innovations within the industry.