Even though online boat motor repair programs are difficult to find, a certificate in Marine Service Technology or a similar program incorporates related material. Distance-learning certificate programs for small-engine repair are also available.
Many online motor repair courses have practical and laboratory components that may need to be completed on campus or at an approved site. Hand tools are important parts of the profession and therefore integrated into lab practice; some classes include them in the cost of the course. Other classes may require students to find a small gas engine, such as from a lawn mower or other source, in order to carry out assignments at home.
Online Motor Repair Courses
The following overviews detail the typical curriculum of the most common online courses in motor repair.
- Introduction to Small Motors Course: Students identify, troubleshoot and repair the mechanical, electrical, lubrication, ignition and exhaust systems found in outdoor power equipment. They review and practice shop safety procedures and proper tool handling.
- Principles of Propulsion Systems Course: This course introduces basic concepts and practical applications of motor-driven propulsion systems, including 2- and 4-stroke engines. It details the operating characteristics of gasoline-powered, diesel-driven and alternate-fuel components.
- Electrical Systems Course: The syllabus covers the fundamentals of electrical wiring, circuitry and charging power sources for small engine propulsion and auxiliary systems. It demonstrates safe troubleshooting, repair and grounding techniques for outdoor power equipment, riding mowers and marine engines.
- Small Motor Mechanical Systems Course: The curriculum examines the operating principles and characteristics of mechanical systems found in land-based and marine vehicle engines. It presents techniques for replacing and repairing components, preventive maintenance, routine servicing and troubleshooting.
- Small Engine Repair Course: Students learn to classify the basic components of small engines, as well as diagnose and correct mechanical issues. The course covers the principles of engine operation, carburetion and preventative maintenance. Access to a small gas engine is required.