Find schools that offer these popular programs
- College Student Counseling
Career counseling coursework trains students to provide vocational assessments and information to assist individuals in planning their careers or developing specific skills. Careers in the field require at least a bachelor's, and oftentimes a master's degree. Although many career counseling programs require components that can't be completed via distance education, students can complete some of the coursework online. Students who graduate from a program accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs are also eligible to become nationally certified counselors.
Online Career Counseling Courses
The online career counseling courses below are commonly offered through degree programs at the bachelor's and master's levels.
- Career Counseling Introduction Course: An overview of career counseling, this online course provides foundational information concerning the theory, practice and ethical guidelines of the profession. Instructors explain information regarding career assessment and workforce influence.
- Career Evaluation and Assessment Course: Important aspects of career counseling include the ability to determine an individual's natural skills, interests and abilities, so students learn the theory, administration, scoring and interpretation of popular career assessment tools. They understand how to match an individual's unique combination of personal attributes to a career.
- Economic and Social Aspects of Career Counseling Course: Instructors describe the influence that social aspects, such as gender, culture and religion, have on occupational choices and opportunities. Providing basic knowledge of economics, the course explains how the job market and economic status affect job placement and prospects. Students learn the importance of incorporating this information into career evaluations.
- Counseling Techniques Course: This is advanced study, often taught at a graduate level. The course teaches a full range of interviewing and counseling procedures. Students learn basic as well as advanced counseling techniques that can be applied throughout a multicultural society.