Online Classes and Courses for Dialysis Technicians
Online courses in dialysis technology are offered by educational programs that prepare students for dialysis technician certification. These courses are often coupled with hands-on training due to the nature of the profession. Continuing education courses addressing specific topics are also available online, and they may count toward recertification requirements.
Dialysis technicians provide dialysis treatment to patients with kidney failure. They also ensure regulatory compliance of renal replacement therapy machines in hospitals and clinics. Job titles include dialysis patient care technician, hemodialysis technician, renal dialysis technician and clinical nephrology technician.
Dialysis technicians must obtain on-the-job experience and pass a certification exam administered by a recognized authority. Most states require continuing medical education annually, which is generally available online.
Online Dialysis Technician Courses
Below are some dialysis technician courses available online as part of education and continuing education programs:
- Renal Anatomy, Physiology and Terminology Course: In this course, students learn about the kidneys and the origins of medical terms pertaining to the field of nephrology. Students also learn about the causes and effects of renal system failure.
- Principles of Dialysis Course: This course discusses the tools and tests used in the diagnosis and management of renal failure. Specific topics include common patient concerns, the principles behind the filtration process, various access sites used and commonly administered medications.
- Dialysis Environment and Procedures Course: Federal and state regulations, certification options and the evolution of the field of dialysis are the focus of this course. Laws regarding patient documentation, personal development resources and required safety practices are discussed. Also provided is an overview of the disease process, patient rights and the needs of specific populations.
- Dialysis Delivery Course: This course discusses the dialysis delivery system, the path blood and dialysate take through the body and equipment, components of the system and safety options. Also discussed are the responsibilities of the dialysis technician in ensuring proper equipment function and addressing potential complications during dialysis delivery.
- Hemodialysis Technology Course: Working in the dialysis field requires a considerable amount of technical knowledge. Students must be familiar with the many pieces of equipment required for treatment, and this course introduces the technology behind the dialysis process.