Online Classes and Courses on Electrical Codes
Because of the necessity of National Electric Code compliance, colleges and universities offer online classes and courses on electrical codes, as do professional organizations.
National Electrical Code (NEC) provides a uniform standard for electrical installations and maintenance, and forms the basis of most electrical code academic programs. Students interested in keeping up with electrical technology or starting a new career in the electrical field may enroll in online classes on electrical codes. Some electrical coding courses may be taken fully online; however, these courses are typically offered in hybrid format because they require both online coursework and hands-on lab work.
Students enrolled in electrical code classes can upgrade their skills for their current job or earn diplomas, certificates or degrees, such as an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Technology Management. Graduates may find employment as technicians, electricians, maintenance personnel, contractors, inspectors, designers and safety personnel.
Online Classes on Electrical Codes
The most common online classes and courses on electrical codes are profiled below.
- Introduction to Electrical Wiring and Code Class: This class teaches students about the theories and principles of the National Electrical Code. With the combined lab work and lectures, students gain knowledge of blueprints, specifications and correct methods of installation in industrial, commercial and residential applications.
- Electrical Union Basics Class: This class, aimed at electrical apprentices, introduces the National Electric Code. Topics include voltage functions, electrical generators, DC theory principles, principles of magnetism, calculating DC power and reading electrical blue prints.
- Commercial Electrical Class: This class provides students with the skills and knowledge to make safe and accurate inspections or installations in commercial facilities. Students learn the current National Electrical Code and, if needed, are prepared to take the ICC Electrical examination.
- Interior Design Building Codes Class: This class deals with the different code (mechanical, electrical and residential building) issues during remodeling or renovating kitchens and bathrooms. Students are introduced to different structural concerns and problems that may arise during this type of project design, as well as how to deal with them.
- Fundamentals of Electronics & Electricity Class: This class provides students with the fundamentals of electronics and electrical systems. Students develop the skill and knowledge to become qualified technicians in various fields of electronics and industrial electrical systems.
- Electric Theory and Calculations: Basic and intermediate level mathematics and electrical theory is covered in this course, including Ohm's Law, apparent power, true power, impedance and reactance. There is significant focus on mathematical formulas and practice problems, as well as key electrical theory.