Online college courses for early child care are primarily offered for continuing education purposes or as part of associate's degree programs or certificate programs in early childhood education. These programs and courses are available fully online, though blended options are available as well. Many continuing education courses are part of certification or state-required licensure renewal programs, most commonly the Child Development Associate (CDA). Graduates of online programs in early child care can either continue their established career in the child care field or pursue new careers as child care coordinators, human services assistants or teacher's aides.
Online College Courses for Early Child Care
Some of the most common online college courses for early child care are described below.
- Childhood Peer Conflict Resolution Course: Students who enroll in this course will learn about the positive and negative aspects of children's conflict and what determines why children engage in frequent or infrequent conflict with their peers. The management of these conflicts is also covered, by teaching students age-appropriate conflict resolution skills.
- Emotional and Social Development in Children Course: This course focuses on children's social-emotional development during the preschool years. In addition to providing a general overview of the topic, this course will offer practical tips on how to support children's development in these areas.
- Infant and Toddler Development Course: This course is designed to give child care providers a basic understanding of infant and toddler development from birth to 36 months. Content covered in this course generally includes an overview of the principles of infant and toddler development, an investigation of the five primary domains of development and how to enhance development in all five areas.
- Guidance and Discipline: Students who enroll in this course will learn about the strengths and weaknesses of various disciplinary styles. The concept of healthy limits and punishment strategies will also be discussed.
- Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child: This course is designed to help students understand the elements of healthy eating and exercise habits, so as child care providers, they can develop programs that encourage overall health in children.