Courses in facilities management cover the construction, operation, maintenance and administration of residential and commercial properties, schools, hospitals and government buildings. Online courses are available for working professionals, often leading to a certificate or master's degree in facility management, green energy management or a similar area.
Online Courses in Facilities Management
The list below contains some examples of online facilities management courses leading to a certificate or degree.
- Essentials of Facility Management Course: This course presents basic theoretical concepts and practical applications of facility management. Topics include construction, maintenance and repair of physical structures. The syllabus also introduces leadership, operational organization, project management, negotiation techniques and vendor relations.
- Facility Personnel Management Course: This curriculum reviews general and specific techniques to manage contractors and employees to reduce costs, improve efficiency, increase productivity and ensure personnel quality of life. It highlights critical oral, verbal and written communication skills for managers and presents tools for effective negotiation and managing conflict.
- Sustainability for Facility Management Course: Attendees study corporate social responsibility concepts, methods, designs and goals to operate facilities in safe, environmentally sound and sustainable ways. They review energy auditing techniques and green maintenance programs as well as analyzing environmental economic feasibility.
- Emergency and Disaster Preparation for Facility Managers Course: Students assess risk, determine areas of vulnerability and develop response plans for natural and man-made disasters. They study applicable federal, state and local roles and regulations for emergency response. They practice implementing training programs. In addition, attendees create, develop, apply and review business continuity, mitigation and recovery plans.
- Facilities Design and Space Planning: Students learn to plan future facilities while taking space requirements, corporate needs and other factors into account. The project requirements are planned and executed in a smooth project development process.