Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advertising and Commercial Design
- Commercial Photography
- Fashion Design
- General Visual Communications Design
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Drawing
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design and Decorating
Visual merchandising courses prepare students to design and arrange a store or brand's products in order to maximize sales. During these classes, students will learn techniques, from color coordination to accessorizing, that attract shoppers to a store and amplify a brand's visual appeal. Standalone courses are available in visual merchandising, some of which result in a certificate.
Online Visual Merchandising Courses
Below are some common online courses available in visual merchandising.
- Fashion History Course: In this class, students discuss fashion development and trends throughout history. They learn how fashion was affected throughout history by factors including culture and politics.
- Textiles and Fabrics Course: A familiarity and knowledge of different types of fabric and materials is needed in visual merchandising. Textile and fabric sources, trends and forecasts are studied in this class. Students conduct an in-depth study of the process of creating a fashion item, examining yarns, fibers, dyes and finishes.
- Design Fundamentals Course: Students use their imagination and creativity in order to cultivate their creative processes in this class. Designing elements, materials and methods are all taught. An introduction to typography, in which students learn how to set correct type size and style to convey effective visual imagery, is also discussed.
- Business Management Course: This course provides students with an introduction into business management, focusing on retail management fundamentals. The four principles of management, including planning and organizing, are examined. Students learn about essential store planning elements, such as traffic patterns, furnishings and security, and how these elements contribute to successful store layout design.
- Marketing Principles Course: The course features an analysis of social and economic factors that affect a marketplace and sales. It teaches students the key role of creative marketing in promotion and advertisement. Students learn how to conduct market research and competitor analysis.
- Visual Merchandising Course: Students learn strategies and artistic principles of designing store layouts in order to best attract the attention of consumers. While sales are the ultimate goal of visual marketing, this course also covers the theatricality and flair of visual design within retail settings.