Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels
- Teaching, Adults
- Teaching, Elementary
- Teaching, High School
- Teaching, Junior High
- Teaching, Kindergarten and Preschool
- Teaching, Waldorf and Steiner Education
- Teaching, Young Children
Online Preschool Teaching Courses
Here are some online courses commonly offered for preschool teachers:
- Child Development Course: This course focuses on the learning and development of children through age five. Students are instructed on observation and assessment methodology, the learning process and safety of preschool-aged children. This course is based on theory and may be available fully online.
- Education Foundations Course: In this series of courses, college-level math, reading and writing are taught. As future educators, students are required to have a good grasp of these fundamental topics. Fully online courses in these subjects may be available.
- Teaching Methods Course: Teaching techniques and curricula for preschool-aged children are the focal point of this course. Students learn effective classroom management, parental interaction, and testing or evaluation procedures. Some aspects of this course may require student presence in the classroom or on-campus.
- Teaching Application Course: In a teaching application course, students typically assist a teacher in a classroom setting, providing valuable hands-on training and experience. Students may also receive career advice and assistance. This type of course is not available online because participants must personally interact with the kids and the supervising preschool teacher.
- Early Childhood Literature Course: This course explores literature for children, from infancy through early elementary school age. Students study the different categories of literature, learning how to select appropriate works and then utilize effective teaching methods to achieve educational goals.
- Child Health and Safety Course: In this course, preschool teachers learn about strategies that they can use to help children develop healthy lifestyles. Topics include diet, exercise and avoiding activities that can lead to injury.
- Special Needs Education Course: This course covers relevant considerations for preschool teachers who work with students who have physical and developmental disabilities. Areas of emphasis include fostering a safe learning environment for all students, as well as the specific regulatory guidelines related to teaching students with special needs.
Although some courses for preschool teachers are offered completely online, many degree programs are in hybrid format, which includes both online instruction and in-person student teaching or internship requirements. Online courses may be offered as part of certificate, associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in early childhood education.
Licensing requirements for preschool teachers vary by state, but may include practical training, such as assistant teaching or a classroom internship, along with successful completion of a licensing exam. Completing state requirements for licensing can lead to employment as a preschool teacher, lead teacher or center director.
Aspiring preschool teachers can get much of the training they need through online educational programs. In general, courses cover child development and education.