Although some courses for preschool teachers are offered completely online, many degree programs are in hybrid format, which includes both online instruction and in-person student teaching or internship requirements. Online courses may be offered as part of certificate, associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in early childhood education.
Licensing requirements for preschool teachers vary by state, but may include practical training, such as assistant teaching or a classroom internship, along with successful completion of a licensing exam. Completing state requirements for licensing can lead to employment as a preschool teacher, lead teacher or center director.
Online Courses for Preschool Teachers
Online courses commonly offered for preschool teachers are summarized below.
- Child Development Course: This course focuses on the learning and development of children through age five. Students are instructed on observation and assessment methodology, the learning process and safety of preschool-aged children. This course is based on theory and may be available fully online.
- Education Foundations Course: In this series of courses, college-level math, reading and writing are taught. As future educators, students are required to have a good grasp of these fundamental topics. Fully online courses in these subjects may be available.
- Teaching Methods Course: Teaching techniques and curricula for preschool-aged children are the focal point of this course. Students learn effective classroom management, parental interaction, and testing or evaluation procedures. Some aspects of this course may require student presence in the classroom or on-campus.
- Teaching Application Course: In a teaching application course, students typically assist a teacher in a classroom setting, providing valuable hands-on training and experience. Students may also receive career advice and assistance. This type of course is not available online because participants must personally interact with the kids and the supervising preschool teacher.
- Early Childhood Literature : This course explores literature for children, from infancy through early elementary school age. Students study the different categories of literature, learning how to select appropriate works and then utilize effective teaching methods to achieve educational goals.