Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aircraft Powerplant Tech
- Airframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technologies
- Autobody Repair
- Automotive Mechanics
- Avionics Repair and Maintenance
- Diesel Mechanics
- Engine Machinist
- Heavy Vehicle and Truck Tech
- Marine Watercraft Repair and Maintenance
- Motorcycle Repair and Maintenance
- Small Engine Mechanics
- Vehicle Emissions Inspection
Diesel mechanics repair and maintain large trucks, tractors and buses. Courses in diesel technology or mechanics are generally found as part of certificate, career diploma or associate's degree programs available at technical institutes and community colleges. Some schools offer a hybrid format.
Although no set education requirements exist for employment as a diesel mechanic, employers often prefer candidates with formal training. National certification is available through the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and may increase employment opportunities. Completion of diesel mechanic training may lead to a career as a diesel service technician, diesel engine specialist or truck mechanic.
Vehicle maintenance tools are necessary for students to gain hands-on mechanical practice, and they may need to be purchased separately.
Online Diesel Mechanic Training Courses
Below are some of the online courses available for diesel mechanics. Some may be part of a hybrid online/hands-on program.
- Diesel Engine Systems Course: In this course, students focus on diesel engine operation theory and construction of various types of engines such as the multiple cylinder engine. Industry standards of safety are addressed.
- Electrical and Electronic Systems Course: In this course, students examine the fundamentals of electrical theory and electrical hazards and safety in the workplace. The course also teaches electrical testing procedures using specific tools and lead acid battery testing methods.
- Braking Systems Course: The theories of hydraulic and air braking systems are studied in this course. Students learn to recognize the various parts of braking systems, including wheel cylinders and air compressors. Inspection, assembly and repair methods are taught.
- Preventative Maintenance Course: Diesel engine preventative maintenance techniques are learned by using diagnostic equipment and manufacturer's guidelines. Correct shop procedures for environmental and personal safety are covered.
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals: This course introduces students to the basic skills and knowledge they need to maintain and repair diesel engines. Topics covered include tools used by diesel mechanics, workplace hazards, the diesel engine cycle and the components and systems that make up diesel engines.