Online Electrical Certification Programs and Courses
Online electrician programs and courses are available for initial training, continuing education (CE) credits or exam preparation for certification or licensure.
Due to the importance of hands-on experience in this field, fully online courses and training programs for electricians can be hard to find. More commonly, schools offer hybrid courses and programs, which combine online and in-person instruction and coursework. Most states require licensure; aspiring electricians must typically meet education and experience requirements and pass an exam in order to become licensed. Electrician tools are often required for online courses; these tools may be included with tuition or available for separate purchase.
Online Electrical Certification Courses
Some of the commonly offered online electrical certification courses are profiled in the descriptions below.
- Safety and Tools Course: Due to the dangers of working with electricity, students learn precautions, preventative techniques and safety regulations in order to avoid shock and fire. This course also familiarizes students with a wide variety of tools and equipment used by electricians. Actual tools may be included in this course.
- Blueprint Reading Course: Electricians must know how to read blueprints in order to know where and how to properly install electrical systems. Students learn how to correctly interpret blueprint symbols and abbreviations. This course also explains how to read schematics and electrical drawings.
- Residential Wiring Course: In this course, students learn how to install wires, lighting and circuits for all electrical systems within a residential home. Material also covers special circuiting needs for systems like heating and air conditioning.
- National Electric Code Course: The National Electric Code (NEC) defines the U.S. standards for electrical installation and safety. State license boards require knowledge of the NEC for electricians. This course is designed as a comprehensive review of the NEC that teaches students the terminology, rules and uses of the Code.
- Electrical Grounding & Bonding Course: Students study the important topic of proper grounding and bonding of electrical systems, especially adherence to the National Electrical Code. The equipment used for electrical system grounding is examined as well as the requirements for grounding and bonding conductors.