First responder courses are available fully online in standalone formats or as part of EMT training programs. First responder training courses typically are offered at community or technical colleges and may result in a certificate or a diploma, such as a Diploma in EMT-Basic or Paramedic. Most online first responder courses are open to high school graduates and include no other prerequisites. Refresher courses and continuing education generally are required for recertification or maintenance of licensure. Some online refresher courses may require completion of an onsite skills component.
Online First Responder Courses
The course overviews below describe the curriculum of the most commonly offered online first responder courses.
- Preparatory Course: This course goes over EMTs' roles and responsibilities in patient care. It also covers medical, legal and ethical issues, as well as the personal protection and well-being of first responders. Additionally, students learn correct lifting and moving techniques for patients.
- Airway Management Course: Students learn basic and advanced airway management techniques. They also gain familiarity with oxygen delivery machinery and therapy.
- Patient Assessment Course: In this course, students learn to provide initial care using proper medical procedures and communication methods. They also learn to conduct medical and trauma emergency patient assessments, in addition to examining proper documentation procedures.
- Circulation Course: Patient care and management in cases of internal and external bleeding, cardiac emergencies and arrests, and shock are examined in this course. Students also learn CPR techniques, although this course doesn't typically include CPR certification.
- Illness and Injury Course: Students in this course learn to handle many types of medical and trauma emergencies, including poisoning, respiratory distress, musculoskeletal injuries and diabetic reactions. They also explore head and spine injuries and receive an introduction to pharmacology and drug administration.
- Childbirth and Children Course: This course teaches specialized patient assessment and management methods for dealing with infants or children with medical emergencies. Also addressed are obstetrical and gynecological emergencies, including childbirth and its possible complications.
- EMT Safety: In this course, students learn how to take care of themselves in emergency situations that may become dangerous, covering topics like self-defense, personal protection equipment and safety precautions.