Online Courses in Heavy Construction
Some commonly offered online courses in heavy construction are summarized here.
- Heavy Equipment Safety Course: This course, commonly part of heavy construction equipment operation programs, teaches students about safety regulations and standards in the industry. To ensure operator safety, students learn specific hand signals and communication methods.
- Heavy Equipment Operation Course: In this course, students learn to operate various large machinery used in heavy construction, including earth movers, excavators and loaders. Generally these are hands-on courses, in which students visit construction sites to interact with and operate a variety of machines commonly used in heavy construction.
- Heavy Equipment Maintenance Course: In this type of course, students are taught equipment and machinery maintenance and repair. The course also focuses on natural factors, such as weather, temperature and soil condition, affect equipment operation on construction sites.
- Heavy Construction Project Management Course: Students enrolled in courses on heavy construction project management learn to secure large construction projects through contract bids and pricing, procurement and estimation. Students also learn how to interpret documents and contracts.
- Heavy Construction Infrastructure Course: Planning and analysis of various infrastructure, such as utility systems and marine systems, are taught in this type of course. Major utility systems include water, communication and natural gas. Various materials used in heavy construction are also covered.
- Heavy Construction Law and Regulations Course: Due to the detailed and encompassing nature of heavy construction projects, students need an understanding of construction laws as well as environmental and safety regulations. Students learn methods for cost-analysis and resource management.
- Heavy Construction Estimation Course: In this course students learn the process of building cost estimations for projects requiring heavy construction. Students will also learn how to interpret contracts, and create budgets and pricing mock-up documents.
- Excavation Safety Course: In this course, students learn about safety protocols when using heavy construction equipment for excavation. The curriculum covers best practices and potential excavation hazards.
- Temporary Structures Course: This course covers the techniques and materials used for the setup of temporary structures at heavy construction sites. Topics of study include scaffolding, cofferdams, slurry walls and earth-retaining structures.
Students in heavy construction equipment operation courses learn to safely operate large machinery, such as bulldozers, backhoes and loaders. Due to the hands-on nature of machine operation, these courses are mostly offered in a hybrid format as part of certificate programs. Students enrolled in heavy construction equipment operation programs should be physically capable of machine operation and may need to complete part of the program or course instruction on-site with actual machinery.
In contrast, heavy construction engineering and management courses teach students how to design and build large infrastructure, such as roads, bridges and highways. Heavy construction engineering courses are generally offered as part of graduate certificate and degree programs; standalone courses are available, but they can be more difficult to find.
Although most heavy construction courses require hands-on training, there are some online technical construction courses available, as well as online safety and business courses, for workers in the construction industry.