Online Courses in Computer Information Technology (IT)
Below are some of the IT computer classes that are commonly offered online through academic programs.
- Introductory Information Systems Course: This beginner online course explains how software and hardware factor into the function and efficiency of computer systems. Students examine basic operating systems and learn to develop computer applications. This online course is common for those with little or no information technology background.
- Computer Networking Course: Networking allows an IT professional to establish digital subscriber lines (DSL), such as those used by Internet service providers. This introductory online course trains students to configure networking systems for individuals and businesses, exploring servers and the Ethernet. Computer networking is one of several fundamental courses that prospective IT professionals take.
- Computer Programming Course: Online computer programming courses are available at all experience levels. Many of them lead to certification in areas like Java, object-oriented programming (OOP) and C++. The course discusses computer memory, C language programming, servers and operating system platforms. Some online computer programming courses include Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance (MDNAA) software, which has Microsoft-specific and Windows operating system material.
- Information Technology Management Course: This advanced online course is for IT professionals in management positions. The online IT management course focuses on leadership, team-building and problem-solving strategies for IT issues. Other topics include employment law, budget and negotiation.
- Web Page Development Course: Basic concepts of HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) are essential for IT professionals looking to advance themselves in web page design. HTML and CSS coding are the building blocks needed to develop a career in website design and development.
- Computer Platform Technologies Course: In this course, students will examine hardware and software components in the field of information technology. Topics include computer memory, input and output devices and file and operating systems.
- Ethics in Information Technology Course: In this course, students will be taught about the global environment of information technology and some of its ethical concerns. Students will examine current trends in IT and how they relate to ethics, how to analyze risk and what makes for an ethical work environment.
Online IT computer courses can be found in certificate, undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In these courses, students learn skills such as how to configure a firewall, setup a printer or establish a database management system. Associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in information technology are available; program names vary from one school to another. Graduates often find positions in computer networking, development, customer service, programming or administration.
Students can take online IT computer courses via undergraduate and graduate certificates, standalone classes, and associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees. Topics of study include computer platform technologies, ethics, web page development and computer networking.