Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
Online Courses in Manicuring
The following course descriptions highlight some commonly offered online manicure courses.
- Body System and Diseases Course: This course is aimed at students pursuing a nail technician certificate or cosmetology degree. Students learn about different diseases and disorders of the skin, hair and nails. Topics focus on the anatomy and physiology of hair, skin and nail and their contribution to developing body systems. Instructors may use online images and video streaming to educate students in this area.
- Pre-Clinic Introduction Course: This course introduces students to nail technology, cosmetology and skin care. Students learn different aspects of starting their own manicure or cosmetology business. Topics cover the importance of professionalism, safety laws, state-specific rules, sanitation and regulations for business owners in the field of cosmetology. Students can bounce ideas off other students and ask the instructor questions on message boards and forums.
- Nail Technician Theory Course: This course is designed to help nail technician students prepare for state licensure. Students are introduced to the theory and fundamentals of nail care. Immediate feedback from students and instructors is available through instant messaging and chat rooms.
- Small Business Management: Owning a manicure business is more than just providing manicures to clients. This course teaches students the business part of owning a small business, including writing and analyzing financial states, fundamentals of starting a business, and learning operating and licensing regulations for the field of cosmetology.
- Business Communications Course: This course teaches students the business side of a career and the importance of strong communication skills with customers and clients. Students learn to express themselves through writing a letter, sending an e-mail, talking on the phone or speaking in person.
- Manicure and Pedicure Course: In this course, students will learn foundational manicuring techniques and styles. The course will include both practical and theoretical components, so some hands-on training is usually necessary. The course will include training in massage, product application and removal.
- Spa Retail Course: This course is for manicurists who intend to sell nail-related retailing products alongside their manicuring services, such as nail polish and nail files. Topics of study include product selection and marketing techniques.
- Customer Engagement Course: In this course, aspiring manicurists learn how to successfully interact with customers so that they can develop and retain a solid customer base. They build communication skills so that they can understand and meet customer needs, and also sustain friendly relationships.
Manicure courses and training are offered through many universities, colleges and professional schools through hybrid online and on-campus programs. Online courses offer students the opportunity to train in nail art and nail care while continuing to work full-time or fulfill personal obligations. Since manicures are a hands-on beauty treatment, students will typically need to complete some practical skills training on-campus. Theory-based courses can be completed entirely online, however. Additionally, students can purchase manicuring tools and learning materials to practice techniques at home. Students enrolled in manicure courses can earn nail care technology certificates, cosmetology diplomas or an associate degree in cosmetology.
Because a successful career as a manicurist involves far more than just painting nails, aspiring professionals can benefit from a wide range of online courses. Many of these courses have on-campus components, and some are part of cosmetology certificate, diploma or degree programs.