Online Nail Technician Courses and Classes Overview
Nail technician courses available online offer students the opportunity to learn nail care for personal or professional use. Students learn to perform services that include manicures, pedicures, sculpted and artificial nail application and more.
Nail technician courses are offered at many trade schools and colleges. Because of the hands-on nature of this field, some nail courses require lab sessions, studio work or an internship as part of the curriculum.
Students enrolled in nail technician courses can earn a nail care technician certificate or expand their education by pursuing an associate's degree in cosmetology. Similar to cosmetologists, nail technicians are required to earn a state license in order to practice.
Online Nail Technicians Courses
Specific courses will vary from state to state, depending on each state's licensing requirements, but below are some online nail technician courses typically offered at 2-year colleges.
- Body Systems and Diseases Course: Coursework covers the physiology of nails, hair and skin. Students learn about different nail, hair and skin disorders and will be able to determine which are treatable and which need the care of a physician.
- Pre-clinic Introduction Course: Cosmetology students will gain an introduction to nail technology, skin care and cosmetology. Students learn the importance of sanitation and safety, state regulations and professionalism.
- Clinic Introduction - Nails Course: This course helps students develop the practical skills required to perform basic nail care. Students learn about manicures, pedicures, cleaning, basic nail conditioning and the application of artificial, sculpted or acrylic nails.
- Nail Tech Theory Course: Students in this course complete the apprenticeship required to prepare for state license as a registered nail technician. Students learn the theory and principles of nail care and typically use this course as part of their on-the-job training with a licenses employer. Upon completion, students are ready to sit for the state board examination.
- Salon Management Course: Students are taught the basics of operating a nail salon, including marketing, management, business ethics and applicable state laws. Not all online programs offer a separate business or management course, but may include this information in an introductory or theory course instead. However, knowledge of this material is often required to pass state certification exams.