Online OBGYN courses may be part of academic programs that lead to certificates or degrees, such as the Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. They may also be offered as stand-alone courses for continuing education or certification purposes. Some OBGYN courses can be completed totally online, while other hybrid classes require in-person attendance for laboratory work in addition to online participation. Requirements beyond an up-to-date computer and Internet access may include high-quality printers, which can be useful to reproduce and transmit images, drawings and anatomical studies.
Online OBGYN Courses
Some commonly offered online OBGYN courses and classes are highlighted below.
- Fundamentals of Human Biology Course: This course introduces human biology, anatomy and physiology. Material begins with individual organs and links their functions into systems. The nervous, skeletal, vascular, muscular and reproductive systems are among those studied. Students also learn proper medical terminology to detail normal operation and document pathology.
- Practical Ultrasound and Sonography for Obstetrics Course: Students begin by exploring the physics behind ultrasound and sonography theory and technology. Their ultimate goal is to master recognizing and differentiating between normal and abnormal fetal placement and development in all trimesters. The course also covers instrument operation, calibration and maintenance. It also teaches methods for developing effective scanning techniques and protocols.
- Fertility Issues in Gynecology Course: Participants learn the basics of human fertility, potential causes for infertility and medical treatments to correct the condition. They practice techniques to test and monitor patients' temperatures to track ovulation cycles. The course also outlines health routines to maintain and improve fertility. In addition, causes of male infertility are discussed.
- Breast Anatomy and Mammography Course: This class teaches professionals to perform effective mammography procedures and breast examinations. Basic anatomy and healthy breast structure are the first subjects covered, teaching all of the components of the breast. Students learn to recognize benign and malignant lesions, inflammations and signs of other pathologies. They also develop and promote regular examination schedules for patients.
- Fetal Monitoring Course: In this course students will learn to listen for and understand fetal heart rates, as well as common problems and recent trends in the field of obstetrics.