Online Refresher Courses for Paramedics
Here are some common online refresher courses available to licensed paramedics.
- Emergency Cardiac Care Review Course: Students review emergency breathing, automatic defibrillator use, cardiac pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and identification of cardiac and respiratory emergencies. The course covers different stages of cardiac arrest as well as cardiac conditions, including arrhythmia and various acute coronary syndromes. Some courses require students to perform skills with an instructor in order to obtain official CPR recertification.
- Stress and Burnout Course: In this course, students learn to recognize the symptoms of stress and burnout in the workplace. Students examine physical effects of stress on the body, cardinal signs of burnout and the stages of burnout. The course outlines burnout management strategies and prevention tips.
- Hazardous Material Emergency Course: This class explores the pathophysiological effects of certain hazardous materials, identification, assessment and treatment. Some courses focus on specific hazardous materials, such as cyanide, pesticide or carbon monoxide poisoning. Students learn the importance of rapid response and may discuss response techniques in specific emergencies, such as terrorism attacks.
- Allergy Management Course: Students encounter techniques for dealing with cardiac and pulmonary collapse commonly related to allergic reactions. The course includes a review of basic terms, pathophysiology and treatment management of allergic reactions and related anaphylaxis.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Course: This course examines the important role first responders play in the identification of child abuse. Students learn the proper identification and documentation required in treating patients while preserving possible evidence. The course discusses proper treatment techniques for physical and sexual injuries. Some courses review mandatory reporting requirements and protective custody procedures.
- Critical Care Paramedic Course: Students study techniques in transporting critically injured or ill patients from hospitals to specialized medical facilities. These transports can contain complex situations that involve students' analytical and management skills. Issues surrounding monitoring equipment and hospital environments are also covered.
- Asthma Course: This course provides an overview of asthma symptoms and treatments. Paramedics learn how to assess patients, help manage attacks and address possible complications.
- Coronary Artery Disease Course: This courses prepares paramedics to provide treatment for patients who have coronary artery disease. Topics of study include heart attack risk factors, patient assessment and diagnosis, possible complications and emergency treatment methods.
Online paramedic refresher and continuing education courses cover a variety of topics, such as allergies, hazardous materials and dealing with victims of child abuse. Often, students receive certificates of completion through e-mail or registered mail after viewing the course and passing an online exam, which can usually be taken during a subsequent session. Students should confirm the course is approved by their state Emergency Medical Services agency, as licensure requirements vary by state.
Paramedics who need to earn continuing education credits or want to refresh their knowledge can find a variety of specialized courses available in online formats. Each course covers a specific topic such as caring for patients with allergic reactions or transporting critical care patients.