Online Courses for Personal Assistants
Below are descriptions of some commonly offered online personal assistant courses.
- Windows Office Overview Course: This course offers an overview of the main Microsoft Office Suite programs. Students learn the basics of creating professional documents with Microsoft Word, spreadsheets with Excel, presentations with PowerPoint and databases with Access. The course teaches students to use Outlook to correspond via e-mail, keep calendars and manage task lists. This course lays the foundation to pursue intermediate and advanced education in these programs.
- Project Management Course: Students learn to successfully manage projects in this course. Course topics help students develop time management, prioritization, coordination, networking and resource allocation skills. Tools for defining and setting goals, fostering teamwork and leadership, managing risk and increasing productivity are also discussed.
- Professional Written Communications Course: This course focuses on the formatting and structure of professional written communications, including business letters and e-mails, memos, reports and plans. Students hone their proofreading skills through an overview of common spelling, grammar, usage and punctuation errors. The full writing process, including brainstorming, outlining, drafting, revising and editing is discussed.
- Interpersonal Communications Course: This course discusses effective and appropriate professional communication techniques when dealing with various audiences, including customers, coworkers, stakeholders, employers and the media. Students learn how to summarize, analyze and synthesize information. Focus is placed on developing listening skills, increasing assertiveness, providing positive and constructive feedback, dealing with conflict, and communicating in both informative and persuasive ways.
- Time Management and Stress Reduction Course: In this course, students will learn effective methods for lowering stress levels and using work time efficiently and productively. The course will focus on establishing daily work habits and goal setting techniques.
- Office Finances Course: This course will cover the intricacies of bookkeeping. Topics include when to send out bills, how to record payments as invoices and the maintenance of bank statements.
- Filing Techniques Course: This course will teach students about organizing a file system. How to arrange files alphabetically and numerically will also be covered, in addition to electronic filing and how to handle different types of files.
Personal assistants can work with executives, professionals and other individuals in a wide range of capacities, and they are responsible for completing tasks in order to make an employer's life run more smoothly. The job requirements of a personal assistant vary depending on the employer, so the education and training encompasses many different areas. Online certification programs in Microsoft Office Suite can be beneficial, as well as courses in business correspondence, basic finance and accounting, project management and interpersonal communication.
These online courses could be part of an associate's or bachelor's administrative degree program or lead to various levels of software certification. Online certificate and diploma programs are available as well. Courses focusing on Microsoft Office Suite may require specific software programs, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Students can study to become personal assistants via online administrative programs that may lead to a certificate or diploma or an associate's or bachelor's degree. Study topics include accounting, business law and time management skills.