Online postgraduate medical courses can lead to Master of Science degrees in nursing, clinical research for health professionals, biotechnology and gerontology in management of aging services, to name just a few areas. Also, heath professionals, such as nurses, doctors, physical therapists and others, can pursue CME credits through online courses and seminars in their fields. Online classes may be instructor-led or self-directed home study based on a specific book or article. Hybrid programs exist that require both online and on-campus classes. CME courses require licensure in the appropriate field, and many graduate programs in nursing require students to be registered nurses.
Online Postgraduate Medical Courses
Below are some of the more frequently offered online postgraduate medical courses:
- Grand Rounds Course: This course replaces the traditional, in-person grand rounds sessions with a Web-based model. Students review and discuss patients' cases with experienced doctors via online presentations, webcams, Internet phone and instant messaging.
- Topics in Advanced Mental Health Course: Students learn treatment techniques for depression, anxiety, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, addiction and delirium. They discuss healthy brain development and aging. The perceived benefits of pediatric mental health pharmacology treatments and geriatric behavior issues are also examined.
- Ethical Issues Course: Instructors present the various legal, moral and ethical concerns in pain management and palliative care. Students contemplate medical treatment concerns for both victims and perpetrators of violent crimes. Balance between privacy rights and public health in crises, emergency care in disaster situations and end-of-life planning are covered.
- Drug Therapies and Clinical Trials Course: This course teaches students ethical business guidelines between pharmaceutical companies and healthcare professionals. Students learn about compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. They also explore the nature of clinical product research and development and results reporting from clinical trials.
- Radiology Practicum Course: The course directs student's attention to the structure and pathology shown in ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, mammography and CAT scan images. Special concepts in pediatric and geriatric imaging are also discussed.
- Management of Women's Health Issues: This course teaches students about the most frequent and common health issues that exclusively impact women. Students will learn about topics such as birth control issues and pregnancy.